Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: video software

Re: video software

Apologies to the OP as well! [:$]

But to answer your question, Mark, I don't think calibrating it will be an issue. I've been able to calibrate bright monitors. We have some nice ones at work - one of my microscope systems uses a 30" Apple Cinema Display, which is actually a little brighter than the 27" iMac (400 cd/m2 vs. 375 cd/m2), and the X-Rite Eye-One (i1) Display 2 has no issues with it.

Regarding specs and costs, I actually think a lot of Apple's reputation as 'overpriced' comes from the fact that they don't sell 'low end' models. Even their bottom of the line models are spec'd out significantly higher than a lot of Windows boxes. Also, when people compare machines with the 'same spec' they usually aren't.

The 27" iMac a great example of how sometimes 'similar specs' aren't the same. How many Windows boxes come with wireless keyboard and mouse standard? The display in that iMac is really excellent, an LG e-IPS panel - Dell recently released a display (the Ultrasharp U2711) based on that panel - it retails for $1100 (and it doesn't even have an integrated webcam . You don't see that as part of the 'marketing' - Apple just calls it a 'big, beautiful display' and rolls the cost of the panel into the total cost. So if you get the $1700 'low end' 27" iMac, you're getting the 'rest of the computer' (3 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD) for $600. From the Dell website, an Inspiron with a 3 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM and 1 TB HDD costs $800, so that'same spec' Dell towerplus the 'same spec' Dell display comes out to $200 more than the iMac. But hey, with the Dell you get a nice black box to set under your desk and a bunch of cables to tangle up - maybe that's worth a couple of hundred bucks...

Have I converted you yet?? [:P]

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    Have I converted you yet??

Let's say that you have intrigued :-) Thanks for the insightful perspective!

I have used both FCP and Premiere Pro, and while Premiere has taken a back seat to FCP for quite a while it has stepped things up as of late. I recently received my copy of PPCS5 and can't say I am disappointed. If you have a system that can utilize its new Mercury engine processing you can fly through editing and make used of all of CS5. I will also add that native h264 editing is possible, which is a first in digital editing, potentially taking one step out of the process (though I also endorse MPEG Streamclip for converting, since converted footage will likely still provide faster editing depending on the project).

While FCP will likely still remain the frontrunner in video editing, I will say that if you use a lot of Adobe software in your video workflow (AE, Encore, PS) then it can save you a ton of time.

As you mentioned though, not a cheap investment, but the same goes for almost all high-end editing software.

Jordan

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Democrat Republican-Dem-rep-dem-rep-dem-rep-
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Protestant-Catholic-prot-cath-prot-cath-prot-cath
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]&amp;&amp;&amp;&amp;&amp;&amp;&amp;&amp;&amp;&amp; &amp;&amp;&amp;&amp;&amp;&amp;&amp;&amp;&amp;&a mp;-----And finally, the third Taboo conversation
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<b style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal;"]<span style="font-size: 14pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]mac-pc-mac-pc-mac-pc-mac-pc-mac-pc-mac-pc-<o></o>[/b]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<b style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal;"]<span style="font-size: 14pt;"]<o><span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]</o>[/b]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]But, my personal experience:
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<o><span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]</o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Got my first pc-xt in 1984
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Since then;
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Zero hard-drive failures
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]1 virus
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]No computer takeovers
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]No significant loss of data---unless I rebuilt and failed to back up appropriately
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Fairly easy installs
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]1 power supply failure
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Several rebuilds----but usually because I wanted to reconfigure my system
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]If I didn&rsquo;t like performance I could always improve/enhance/expand/upgrade
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Could run virtually any significant software---including, server software, large data base,
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]spreadsheets, alternate operating systems, etc.
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Cost of software, was reasonable and available
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Cost of hardware, reasonable and available
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Learning curve was gradual
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<o><span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]</o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;"]Why should I dump all that I have learned and start from scratch---will it improve my photo&rsquo;s, my spreadsheets, my databases, my projects? Will it significantly improvement performance of all applications?<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]OK,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] so Mac comes with everything shoved into the monitor---personally,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I like the ability to replace and repair or upgrade as needed---if needed.
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Price----well we all know the rest of that story
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Monitor performance----who cares---real monitors cost in excess of $5k---i.e. radiology, engineering, video production, <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]etc---regardless of your operating system,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] your stuck with middle of the road monitors---unless you choose to spend big bucks---get calibration equipment.---personally,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Ill deal with a $300 monitor and a $6k lens rather than the opposite.
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]In the last 10 years, I haven&rsquo;t had to enter driver properties to install hardware,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] if you have---you have probably tried to install apple products on a pc.
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Am I a PC advocate,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] not really,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] it&rsquo;s just a machine&mdash;just like Mac.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] If I had started on and learned Mac, then I would probably be like many of you.
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]But&hellip;&hellip;I am 50 years old, and would rather dedicate my limited learning ability to photography---rather than re-learning computers---sorry Mac, you&rsquo;re cool, but I don&rsquo;t need pierced ears and purple hair at my age.---No offense to any one. [8-|] &lt; looks like the pc guy, doesn't he?
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Bob
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams
    it&rsquo;s just a machine

But...you do have an iPod, right?!?!?!? Please, say yes and restore my faith in the Appleverse... [:P]

But...you do have an iPod, right?!?!?!? Please, say yes and restore my faith in the Appleverse... [img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]

Nope---I have a Zune (Microsoft)

Sorry, Neuro---

Bob

<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Times New Roman;"]Am I a PC advocate,<span> not really,<span> it&rsquo;s just a machine&mdash;just like Mac.<span> If I had started on and learned Mac, then I would probably be like many of you.

I'll drink to that. Imagine that, a mac and pc getting along! haha. Work with what you know!

price range right now

Elements is $85 bucks...

<div>

Quote Originally Posted by mikehillman89
    you don't need a smashing computer to do video editing

For SD this is true, but I'd like to see your emac go through 1080p 30fps footage.

<div>

The other thing I really appreciate is the 'plug-and-play' convenience.

While I am using windows 7 I believe the same is true for vista. Everything i've ever plugged into my PC has 'just worked' Drivers if necessary install quickly without any user action...

<div>

Quote Originally Posted by jcrowe87
    I have used both FCP and Premiere Pro, and while Premiere has taken a back seat to FCP for quite a while it has stepped things up as of late. I recently received my copy of PPCS5 and can't say I am disappointed. If you have a system that can utilize its new Mercury engine processing you can fly through editing and make used of all of CS5. I will also add that native h264 editing is possible

I've love the new version. Its amazing editing native footage; I love it.

Disclaimer; I use macs and pc for my work; its important to be able to know how to use both to their full potential and play off each other's strength's and weaknesses.
    </div>

</div>

</div>