Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: video software

video software

No, I am not going to the other side--But....I haven't messed with the video on my 7D and thought I would give it a try. Unfortunately, I don't have any video editing software, about the only thing I can do is playback the original file. Do any of you have any suggestions on basic video editing software--nothing high end, just the basics and preferably cheap.

Thanks,

Bob
    Bob

Re: video software

mac - final cut studio (or final cut express if you want to save some money)

pc - adobe premiere pro (or elements if you want to save some money)

combine this:

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams
    Do any of you have any suggestions on basic video editing software--nothing high end, just the basics and preferably cheap.

and this:

<div>

Quote Originally Posted by crosbyharbison

haha yeah premiere pro is pretty basic and not at all high end [:P] just use windows movie maker or something I guess [A]
    </div>

Alan

Bob, my computer came with Cyberlink's Power Director (version 6). You can buy version 8 now, and it runs about $100. I've used version 6 with excellent results. You'll have to convert the MOV files to the AVI format, but that is easily done with Mpeg Streamclip. A number of months ago, Daniel Browning suggested Squared 5 Mpeg Streamclip to do the conversion, and it's been great. It's free, too.

As with any new editing software, photo or video, be prepared for a learning curve! If you're a mac, iMovie is pretty good, but Final Cut Express would be better. Most of the editing platforms will have different interfaces, so I was in your situation, I would go for something will still be of use if you want to do heavier editing. Final Cut Express is only $157 at BH, assuming you're a mac []. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&amp;SID=skim526X834&amp;sku=532 311&amp;AID=10603278&amp;PID=3640578&amp;is=REG&am p;A=details&amp;Q=

I've been a FCP user from the start. Assuming you have a mac it's the way to go, even with Express as it's been noted in the thread about how cheap it is, it works wonders. If you're a PC, then I recommend getting a mac []

Quote Originally Posted by crosbyharbison

[:#] A little out of my price range right now, But if Istart to take this video thing serious--it might go on the wish list

Thanks
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    Daniel Browning suggested Squared 5 Mpeg Streamclip to do the conversion, and it's been great. It's free, too.

Free--and it works---This is more what I am looking for---I noticed Cyberlink had some pretty good reviews as well. I may see if I can find a trial version first---Thanks
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by mikehillman89
    If you're a PC, then I recommend getting a mac [img]/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]

Rodger, Mike,

Sorry, I am a PC---When I think about crossing over to the dark side, I imagine how much glass I could buy for the price of a MAC Pro and necessary software.---Hmmmm? [:^)]--I think I'll stick with the PC for the moment.

Thanks,

Bob
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams

I imagine how much glass I could buy for the price of a MAC Pro and necessary software.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Bob, on contrary to popular belief you don't need a smashing computer to do video editing. I've edited on a 5yr old emac with 256mb of ram and no video card. Trust me on this, you could pick up a mac mini or even a 13" mbp for very cheap and be up and running for about $1500.

mike