Thread: 5D Mark II or wait, 24-70 or 24-105?

5D Mark II or wait, 24-70 or 24-105?

Hello,

??I know the 24-70 vs 24-105 discussion has been covered many time before as well as 5D Mk II vs waiting for the Mk III but I just wanted to try to get a general poll or a discussion to work out some options I've been looking at.

I'm currently using a T1i with a 17-40, 70-200 f/4, and a 50mm f/1.8. I do love my T1i (it was a great upgrade from my old XT). But sadly it's only left me wanting more, Low light, Weather sealed (we get our fair share of rain in Halifax, Nova Scotia), and FF being some of the things I'd like to have. Also this fall I'm going to be taking some shots at a long time friends wedding and I'd like to have a lens to fill in some of the missing focal lengths (as I'm not going to be the wedding photographer and might not have my choice in spots and angles). So I've started to look at some options to fill some needs or wants what ever you want to call them.

Both the 24-70 and 24-105 are definitely both great lenses. And the 5D Mark II is definitely a great camera and there's not really a need to wait for the Mark III or really even read up on any rumours on when/if it'll come out.

??So this brings me to my choices:

1) ??Get a 24-70 and a 5D Mark II??

2) Get the 5D Mark II kit with the 24-105 try and save some money??

or

3) Get a 24-70 and play the waiting/ unknowing game for a FF camera??

So, well what do you all think?

Re: 5D Mark II or wait, 24-70 or 24-105?

I don't recommend 3).

I can't tell you which lens to get, but I can say that I use the 24-105 on my 5DII and love it. It's and incredibly hand-holdable combination. This, this, and this were taken hand held with 5DII + 24-105 IS.

Keep in mind that f/4 on the 5DII will be like f/2.5 on the rebel.

rdenyar,

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with John, #2. You have the 17-40 for wide and the 70-200 for long. The nifty fifty will make a great all around "kit lens" like the film days. Your transition to full frame from the T1i will be easier with f4 lenses. It takes a while to get use to the very narrow depth of field and wide field of view that full frame cameras generate. The IS IMO is a real plus. Try using your 50 for a few weeks after you get the new rig and you'll see what I'm talking about. Don't hold out for a new model. There's always a new model just around the bend. I'm still using an old 5D and love it. FYI, you'll have to go to a 1D toget true weather sealing. There again, don't hold out. If it's raining, put the camera in a plastic bag and shoot what you need to. It's a tool to make photographs.....use it! Have fun.

I agree with Jon and Chuck. The 5DIII could still be a year and a half away. For my personal taste I prefer the 24-70 but I think the 5D kit is a great deal and the 24-105 is a great all around lens that, with the IS, probably suits the masses a little better.

(EDIT) I'm a proud owner of a 24-105. While it's not the fastest lens out there, it's ultra sharp & extremely versatile. I use it 80% of the time - it truly is a 'bread & butter' lens! The IS is great asset to have - whereas the 24-70 lacks.

As a guest at some friends wedding a few weeks back, I was able to capture some very sharp photos in a dimly lit church with this lens at ISO 1000 on my 7D. I wouldn't trade it for the world. If I could have only one lens, this would be it. I hope this helps.

Example

Example

Example

I like option 1... mostly because that's what I did a month or so ago and I'm completely happy. The 24-70 is on the 5D MkII 90% of the time now. I also have the 70-200 f/4L IS and it's amazing on the 5D, as is the 50mm f/1.8 (I was surprised how well it performs on the 5D MkII compared to my old 40D).

IS would be great but I'm happy to sacrifice it for the 2.8 aperture of the 24-70mm - I just drool over that narrow depth of field.

I shot a wedding last week and the 5D Mk II and 24-70mm f/2.8 was definately a winning combo for me. The church was dimly lit but cranking up to ISO 1600 was not a drama at all.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30