Thread: ...and now posing???

...and now posing???

Well, I decided it was time to get the whole white balance thing under control. I got my Master Posing Guide for Children's Portrait Photographers[/i]and will likely get another in this series.

To me learning the poses isn't the hard part it's the B.S.ing and direction that I feel uncomfortable with.Does anyone have suggestions?
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Re: ...and now posing???

My best advice (from my experience anyway) is not to make it feel like a shoot. Sounds silly I know but I feel that getting your "subjects" as comfortable as possible is the best way to get a great portrait. I'm also not a big fan of the traditional pose and shoot portrait, what I really enjoy are those candid and unexpected moments.

Take this shot, for example. I was shooting a couple onSundayforsome save the date cards for their wedding later on in the year. This was my favourite shot of the day and it was just as they were getting up on top of the car and I was taking a couple of test shots to check the lighting. One of those great candid moments.

I also find a couple of beers or wines help out to relax people and get them to enjoy the shoot rather than consider it a job. Might be a little harder with children if that's what you're planning to shoot. [:P]

Just make it as fun as possible I think.

5D MkII, 24-70mm f/2.8L @ 24mm & f/10, ISO 200, 1/50 sec, 580 ex II at half power fired through white shoot through umbrella camera right

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.28.34/T_2600_J-Save-the-Date_5F00_15May2010_5F00_1761-WEB.jpg[/img]
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30