Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Indoor Sports Lens......What would you do with $1K????

Re: Indoor Sports Lens......What would you do with $1K????

85 1.8 is a great suggestion. If you are going to be along the baseline a 24, 28, 30 or 35 prime lens might be nice too. 2.8 zooms are not nearly fast enough. My line up for Hoops this winter is going to be 35L on my 5DII and 85 1.2 on my 7D.

I'd try to figure out the shortest focal length you're going to need where you're shooting. You can always crop, you can't do the opposite.

I love the 135 f2, but I also use it on full frame most of the time. Play with your 70-200 in the scenarios, and see what fits your needs.... I do agree that the prime lens in low light is probably the way to go. A Good prime will let you crop a lot more than a good zoom, or so it seems to me..

rent the 135 f/2 L lens. i think you'll find it quite versatile. i bought it to shoot indoor volleyball and that's its main purpose still, but i shot thiswhile driving home from the gym.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.43.06/farmer.jpg[/img]

Wow that crazy sharp..l.. Thanks for sharing. I'm leaning more and more towards the 135.

EF 135mm f/2

This is a SEXY lens that takes amazing pictures! I dont' think you'll need the extra reach at all for indoor basketball. In fact, you might be too close on a 1.6x cropped body like the T1i. And, if you're not too close, then you should be just right, or if you need the "reach" - just crop. You've got 15MP to work with there. You really want f/2 or lower for indoor sports. f/2.8 is pushing it, unless the place is VERY well lit. Your 50mm f/1.4 might work if you're able to get real close, but otherwise I'd stick with the 135. Sean said it right that the 85mm f/1.8 would be great. I have no experience with that lens, but hear it's very nice. Focal length sounds good. I have used the 85mm f/1.2 (very expensive) and it's a bit slow for sports but great in low light. The EF 135 f/2 should run you right about a grand. Go for it! again.... SEXY! :P

100mm f/2 is also worth looking at.. but the 135 is a good choice as well. Guess it depends on the $ you want to spend