Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indoor Sports Lens......What would you do with $1K????

Indoor Sports Lens......What would you do with $1K????

Newbie Alert..........I'm looking for a versatile, allaround lens that is fast enough to be used for indoor sports, tack sharp for portraits, and provides sufficient reach. I know I'm asking for alot, but I only have about less than $1K to splurge. For the most part, this lens will be used more for indoor basketball. Like most of you that are in the market for the "ideal lens", I've been doing EXTENSIVE research on different lens and it seems like just when you have one nailed down, a review or two will alter my decision. As mentioned, I'm completely new to the DSLR world, but like most want only the best equipment(that my budget will allow)My current outfit is as follows:

Canon T1i

50mm f1.4

70-200mm f/4L

I've been looking at the 24-70 f2.8, 100mm f2.8, 135mm f/2L. Myfirst inclination was to get the 135mm and buya 1.4 extension for the additional reach, but then starting having doubts about the fixed FL, especially when taking portraits. I'm so confused and overwhelmed. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Indoor Sports Lens......What would you do with $1K????

For indoor basketball shots, I'd lean toward the 85mm f/1.8 or the 135mm f/2 L. Both are great portraiture lenses, however, you need room with which to work (more so with the 135L). I wouldn't suggest the 50mm f/1.4 because I don't think it would be long enough for indoor basketball.

While you can push the ISOs on modern cameras a bit more than you used to (and still get acceptable images), f/2.8 is the absolute narrowest aperture I'd try to use for indoor/lowlight gymnasiums. For me, at least, that rules out the 70-200mm f/4 L (even though that is a fantastic lens--just not for this particular need).

I 2nd Sean suggestions.

Welcome to the TDP forums!

Quote Originally Posted by vvjsv5
    I'm looking for a versatile, allaround lens that is fast enough to be used for indoor sports, tack sharp for portraits, and provides sufficient reach

At the risk of being the bearer of bad news, you're not going to find that, and especially not in that budget. Versatility generally means a zoom lens. I think the lens that comes closest to fitting your description is the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II - but at $2500 it's well over your budget. It's versatile, tack sharp, and has decent reach, however, it's only f/2.8 (the fastest available on a zoom lens, but not really fast in absolute terms).

Choosing a lens means compromise. An f/2.8 lens might be just barely fast enough for indoor sports (if you're willing to tolerate the noise of ISO 1600 at least, and the gym is well lit). Chances are, you'll need an extra stop or more of aperture, and that means getting a prime lens (and sacrificing the versatility of the zoom).

For indoor sports, the best lens by most accounts (for a relatively reasonable cost) is the EF 135mm f/2L. The EF 200mm f/2L IS is 'better', but costs over 5x your stated budget. 135mm is good for capturing action from the bleachers, which is what most people are looking for (if you can stand under the net, use your 50mm f/1.4). The 135mm f/2L is also a 'tack sharp' lens. However, on a 1.6x crop body like yours the 135mm focal length is rather long for indoor portraits - since you have a 70-200 zoom, you can set it to 135mm and see what you think of the framing where you'd plan to take portrait-type shots. Outside where you can back up, the 135mm f/2L is great (you might need ND filters to use it wide open, though).

For indoor portraits, the lens of choice in your budget would be the 85mm f/1.8, IMO. It's the right focal length for tight shots (children, head/shoulders of adults), and if you need wider you've already got the 50mm f/1.4.

A focal length compromise for you might be the 100mm f/2. It's the 'budget' recommendation compared to the 135mm f/2L, still fast and sharp, a little longer than 85mm (and that's pretty much the only difference between the two). It's not 135L sharp, but it's still good.

Quote Originally Posted by vvjsv5
    For the most part, this lens will be used more for indoor basketball.

Given that and your budget, I think your best choice is theEF 135mm f/2L.

Good luck with your decision!

A friend shoots his daughter playing indoor volleyball. He finds the 85/1.8 to be too long sometimes. Check your shots from the 70-200 - what focal length are you at?

If nothing else, don't do the 1.4x extender. You're better off just cropping your shot, and that's $275 you can put towards the next lens. I also noticed that you mentioned the 100/2.8 - did you mean the 100/2, or the 100/2.8 Macro? If anything, I'd say skip the 100/2 and go with the 85/1.8. The 100/2 just doesn't make tons of sense next to the 85/1.8, or as Roger from LensRentals says:

"Roger’s take: In my world, this little lens has one
    primary purpose: its a great low-light indoor sports lens. High school
    basketball, hockey etc. when you need the wide aperture, sharp images,
    and reasonably fast autofocus. Those qualities would also make it a good
    lens for other purposes, I"m sure. I just haven’t figured out what
    those purposes might be."

We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

I've shot tons of youth basketball....and have had much succeess with the 135L on my 7D. You'll be able to work around the focal length with time....and in fact just having the single focal length allows a greater concentration on the shot as opposed to missing something due to the added variable of zoom. (I don't have time to crop in PP) I also shoot courtside.

This lense is SUPER sharp at f2 (one of the sharpest at f2 and greater) and I highly reco it. IMO it's the best value in "L" primes.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen

I 2nd Sean suggestions.

3rd

I would consider the 100mm f2, as well

Quote Originally Posted by crosbyharbison

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen

I 2nd Sean suggestions.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

3rd

4th. Good luck!

Thanks for all the recommendations. You guys are awesome. I didn't even think about considering the 85mm f/1.8. Great another, monkey wrench in my thought process.