Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 17-55 f/2.8 IS or 24-105 f/4L IS

Re: 17-55 f/2.8 IS or 24-105 f/4L IS

Quote Originally Posted by interactii

Is the wiggling you are seeing perhaps the IS activating? It does take a little bit of getting used to, but it can be a life saver.<span style="font-size: 11.6667px;"]

Hi interactii,

The wiggling/wobbling is not from the IS, if you fully extend the lens, you'll feel some wiggling already more so if you are turning the zoom ring<span style="font-size: 11.6667px;"].

Is this normal? Seems like the build quality is not as high as the other L lenses like the 70-200 or the 24-70 that I have used before.

I don't know if this is normal, can't recall it with my 17-55 at the time.

However yes the build-quality is less great than the L-lenses you've used. Just try out an 18-55 and you'll see how much better the build-quality is compared to that...It's somewhere in between, but it still is no L-lens...

Quote Originally Posted by darklord

The wiggling/wobbling is not from the IS, if you fully extend the lens, you'll feel some wiggling already more so if you are turning the zoom ring<span style="font-size:11.6667px;"].

Is this normal?

I would say not normal - at least, I don't feel anything like that (I was shooting with my 17-55mm yesterday evening).

Quote Originally Posted by darklord
    Seems like the build quality is not as high as the other L lenses like the 70-200 or the 24-70 that I have used before.

Yeah - the EF-S 17-55mm is equivalent to L-series lenses in optical quality, but not quite there in build quality. It's decent, better than a lot of consumer zooms, but not L. My 24-105mm feels a bit nicer to use (and I like that I can take it out in the rain), but both lenses produce equally excellent images.