Thread: Air Show Pictures & Photography Tips

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Air Show Pictures & Photography Tips

Hi!

Thanks to Bryan, for the excellent "Air Show Pictures & Photography Tips" article. What I find most illustrative is that Bryan notes the camera, lens, shutter speed, ISO, etc... from the shots, at least I can learn a lot from this.

But this also left me with a question: Bryan used the non-IS EF-400L f/5.6 lens on a 1D4, and sometimes used shutter speeds of 1/250 (helicopters) and said that he got a relatively large number of blurred photos, what is to be expected.

Why not use something stabilised istead? A EF500 IS f/4 on a 1Ds3? Or, if it was the weight, a EF400 DO IS? Or a EF300 IS on a 7D/50D?

Re: Air Show Pictures & Photography Tips

I'm not an expect, but I imagine no IS is used because panning and IS don't mix. There is a newer form of IS (mode 2) that allows panning along a single place (horizontal or vertical). But my experience with shooting a single air show is that much of my camera panning was at an angle as the planes went overhead. I don't think mode 2 would be able to compensate for that and you would end up with the majority of your photos blurred.

Re: Air Show Pictures & Photography Tips

ISdoes not help with subject motion. When there is plenty of light, allowinga high enough shutter speed IS is pointless.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9