Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any thoughts on DDP comparision to other programs

Re: Any thoughts on DDP comparision to other programs

Hmmm... That could do it. I'll have to look into that to see if it actually needs 21 to work properly.

My 7D came with a solutions disk that has Version 21.1 stamped on it.

But, once you get one version installed, all of the upgrades from Canon are free. Just download the latest.

But, there are only upgrades available (and the install program does check for an existing installation). There are no fresh installs, except for version on the solutions disk that you get with the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    It doesn't matter which disc the camera came with

I was just referring to needing at least the version that came with the 7D to run it properly. Sometimes I think better than I type...and that's scary[]
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Hi,

my first post. I have not used DPP for a long time, preferring Lightroom and CS4. Recently I got a 7d and tested AutoISO. It frequently set ISO3200 in low light. I would never set this high with my 5D. The result was disappointing - more noise than I expected. I found Lightroom and CS4 to be not satisfying with reducing noise from such a high ISO settingwith a 7d.

I remember reading here that someone mentioned the Canon tech at his shop saying than Canon understands its sensors and builds this knowledge into its software. So I returned to DDP and downloaded the latest 3.8.1 and had a look at the noise reduction features. Wow, I share that it handles 7d ISO 3200 noise reduction much better than I have found with either Lightroom or ACR CS4. Transferring the improved files to Lightroom is a bit problematic and the noise reduction data is a bit scrambled. But in ACR CS4 the transferred files retain the DDP noise reduction data well.

Thereare someother nice features I have discovered with DPP 3.8.1

a) taking lots of pictures for microadjustment and using Control I shows the microadjustment of each photo so it is easier for me to review them than looking back at my notebook to refer to settings.

b) reviewing similar files done in Liveview and the microadjustment data is gone from the file. I wonder is this feature disables in Liveview?

anyway, enough for a first post. Great forum - I have learned a lot from the posts here.

best wishes, Neil

Hi Neil, welcome to the forums mate.

I'm in a similar situation to you, I have been using Adobe Bridge, Adobe Camera Raw and CS4 as I like the integration between the programs for my workflow. However I have run a few photos from the 5D II through DPP recentlyand I must say the results are much better than ACR.

Just need to adjust my workflow now and get used to transferring between programs but if the images come out better then that's a small sacrifice.

Cheers, Ben
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by Neil1000
    b) reviewing similar files done in Liveview and the microadjustment data is gone from the file. I wonder is this feature disables in Liveview?

It would be, depending on which focus mode you're using. In Quick AF (where the mirror flips up to use the dedicated AF system), I would think that the microadjustment would be applied. But, in Live AF (or Face Detection AF) where the AF is performed using contrast on the image sensor, I would think that the AF microadjustment would not be applicable.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil1000
    Wow, I share that it handles 7d ISO 3200 noise reduction much better than I have found with either Lightroom or ACR CS4.

That pretty much sealed the deal right there for me. Well done Neil! It's going to be a few more days at least before I can play on my computer, but I will certainly be installing DDP after hearing that.

Do you know if the update can be installed on a cd or does the actual DDP program need to be installed on the computer your downloading from? Some day I'll get the internet, but I need steps inside my house first. Been walkin' on drywall mud buckets for years. Actually had to replace a lid in December because it cracked[].
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Hi

any version of DPP installed on your computer from the very first is enough or if you have a CD with any version of DPP it is enough after you install it then you can go to canon usa, europe, uk or whatever and download the updates. DPP 3.8.1 is a huge upgrade and is free if you bought a Canon camera. But with DPP installed, Canon has made a huge and unadvertised upgrade to all its other softwaresitting in one of the sites above for you to download

I would like to say I have kept up to date with DPP but have not and let many updates pass by. I can only say that someone on this site triggered me to look again at DPP and there are algorithms in 3.8.1 that are superb for all Canon cameras to enjoy. And adobe has much catching up to do. But then you transfer to adobe to do the other stuff that is not covered by DPP. Soload from the card via Zoombrowser. Then go to DPP and in particular do noise reduction if you run high ISO then ignore Lightroom and go to CS4 (if you have it).

DPP 3.8.1 is new to me, I looked at this freebie when it was new and moved on. But in the interim there have been astonishing improvements. The algorithms are amazing and so much better that theearlier releases.

best wishes, Neil

thanks neuro.

The guys here love the 85 f1.2. I have the 50 1.2 Microadjustment with this DOF is doing in my head. With my other lenses it is easy,

I have abandoned live view 10x or straight for this task. Paper with writing on is hopeless but a coloured (European spelling) image with sharp lines is what is needed. Real people are so much easier but you can't ask them to sit there whilst you do the full microadjustment run (with picture review)

best wishes Neil

ps I have a lab sitting next to me with more photomicrography stuff than I have ever seen and in 4 years have not seen anyone use it