Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: another first try.......harness racing

another first try.......harness racing

another first try for me, horse racing of the harness variety. as always, critique, comments, suggestions, hints are appreciated

XSi with 100-400L in early evening, shot at 130mm, f/5, 1/125 sec, iso640

jim

Re: another first try.......harness racing

Hi!

I would prefer to see the horse and rider blurred wile background sharp - it could give some speed feeling.

Or, if you could move your camera to follow the horse, then background could be blurred in a way giving speed feeling too. I don't know if flashguns are allowed during horse racing. If they are, then I would think of firing (perhaps, with better beamer).

Also the white is too white on that shot. Have your tried to play with metering mode?

Alex.

pls, have a look at this http://www.flickr.com/photos/pairodocs/3445666045/

(not mine)

Great shot Jim!

I'm amazed you managed this at only 1/125 sec... wow!!

I would have to agree the whites are a little over-exposed. But it's something easily fixed.

Overall it's amazing how you did this. Just a side-question, did you use any IS on this shot?

<div>

Quote Originally Posted by alex_sb
    I would prefer to see the horse and rider blurred wile background sharp - it could give some speed feeling.

Sorry Alex, can't say I'm with you on that one. Maybe it would give a nice photo, but it's the kind of photo that you would have gotten with a P&amp;S. Even in sports mode [:P] Also you could make 1 great shot and after that it's boring.
    </div>

<div>

Or, if you could move your camera to follow the horse, then background could be blurred in a way giving speed feeling too

Exactly what has been done here. Remember it's not like tracking super fast cars on a perfectly flat road in a long bend.
    </div>

(not mine)

That one does seem to be photoshopped or a real giant flash was used [^o)] The wheels are freezed so that would mean they used a flash (2nd curtain) to freeze the shot, or most probably they photoshopped it nicely.

BTW you can create a link to that image by selecting it and clicking the chain-link symbol above.

Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky
    That one does seem to be photoshopped or a real giant flash was used [img]/emoticons/emotion-40.gif[/img] The wheels are freezed so that would mean they used a flash (2nd curtain) to freeze the shot, or most probably they photoshopped it nicely.

Was thinking the same thing - a bit of motion blur filter going on there I think.

Good stuff Jim.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

It was photohacked.... How am I so sure?.... because I did the photohacking.
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

Haha hilarious!! [Y] Well Dave you must have something really good there since it gets referred to [A] Nice job [Y]

Ps: great collection of shots on your account Dave [H] Love the self-portrait!

thanks jan and ben.......i agree that the whites do seem a bit overblown, i can and prob will try to fix it in cs4, good thing i was shooting raw that day, and i am actually very happy that the shot came out the way it did, i did a burst while tracking the horse and jockey,well, needless to say, i got 1 out of my6 shot burst thati liked, and i did have theIS switched on. i really am enjoying this 100-400L that i got. (i also seemed to get a lot of attention from everyone else around me, wonder if it was the BIG white lens)i have some other shots where i was tracking a group as they crossed the finish line, where the whole group of them is blurred from motion blur (theirs, not mine, lol) and i dont like that effect, i prefer the blurred background and a little bit of motion blur on the horses feet and the sulky wheels.

jim

Well Dave you must have something really good there since it gets referred to

When I saw that, I was like, wait a second... he is talking about MY picture! Then I smiled quietly to myself.[8-|]

Ps: great collection of shots on your account Dave [img]/emoticons/emotion-11.gif[/img]

Thanks![]

Love the self-portrait!

You wouldn't believe how long it took me to grow out that moustache. I actually wore all of that get up to my Med school lecture that day. It was a lecture on "human sexuality" so I knew I had to do something fun. One fella in the class seriously asked his neighboor, who is that french guy?[:S]

Ah... One year left. This whole 21 years of school thing is getting old. I want a job, so I can buy lenses. []
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

Great shot Jim!

I'm amazed you managed this at only 1/125 sec... wow!!

I would have to agree the whites are a little over-exposed. But it's something easily fixed.

Overall it's amazing how you did this. Just a side-question, did you use any IS on this shot?

<div>

Sorry Alex, can't say I'm with you on that one. Maybe it would give a nice photo, but it's the kind of photo that you would have gotten with a P&amp;S. Even in sports mode [img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img] Also you could make 1 great shot and after that it's boring.
    </div>

<div>

Or, if you could move your camera to follow the horse, then background could be blurred in a way giving speed feeling too

Exactly what has been done here. Remember it's not like tracking super fast cars on a perfectly flat road in a long bend.
    </div>

(not mine)

That one does seem to be photoshopped or a real giant flash was used [img]/emoticons/emotion-40.gif[/img] The wheels are freezed so that would mean they used a flash (2nd curtain) to freeze the shot, or most probably they photoshopped it nicely.

BTW you can create a link to that image by selecting it and clicking the chain-link symbol above.

Jan

Sheiky, hello!

Sorry, I am not with you too (as you are not with me []) on that. I think we are commenting on the picture itself, not on the gear used. If DSLR makes an impressive shot, I would not care if such a shot can be obtained with P&amp;S or lomo as well.

Some signs make me doubt your are right about "it is exactly has been done here". If Jim was following the horse just panning the camera, then the more distant objects (fence posts and trees on background) to be more blurred than the grass next to track. Because, if camera is panning, the bigger the distance from the object to the panning camera, the higher the speed of that object relatively to the panning lens.

Of course, if Jim was running as fast as the horse he was hooting, than the grass next to track could be more blurred than more distant fence posts and trees. []

As far as Photoshop concerned, I am new to the forum and didn't learn all the customs here yet. As for me, pseudo-HDR or Photohack/Photoshop is the same "crime". []

Alex.