Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7D and now a tripod...

7D and now a tripod...

Hey guys. So I borrowed my buddy's 7D over the long weekend here in Canada and shot some test footage and shot some test pics. That pretty much sealed the deal. I'm getting one next week! I'll post some of my stuff. For those interested in the video I have some basic stuff here To go along with my lovely 7D (drooling already) I noticed my dads tripod to have gone to heaven, and am in search of a new one. My mind has me set on the Manfrotto 190XPROB Legs combined with the Induro BHD0 Ball Head http://www.indurogear.com/products_details_BHD0.html#1 It's pretty much a carbon copy of the Arca Swiss models at about 1/10000000 of the price... Anybody out there used these? Tried it out in the store and didn't have a problem with it. But how about in the field....

cheers

-Mike

Re: 7D and now a tripod...

What framerate were you using when filming the water sequences (like the jet skier)? It seems a bit jumpy, and I've heard using a high framerate can cause that.

The jet skier part was actually handheld. He caught me off guard so I just flicked it on and shot it. So thats a 100mm Macro where the 5ft to infinity is like a fraction of a turn on the focus wheel as well as holding it far enough away from my face to see the lcd. I generally shot everything between 1/60 and 1/125.

Hi Mike,

I have the BHD2 Ball Head and absolutely love it! The Induro line is fantastic IMO. I took awhile looking at various ones before purchasing and do not regret for a minute buying this one. The panning is smooth and my camera and lens has always been held very securely. I've used mine with my 7D and varioussmall lenses and telephoto lenses along with my 580ex II flash and have not had any problems. I don't know what lenses you plan on using with it but just watch the weight capacities for both your tripod and ballhead. the 7D alone isn't a light camera and the BHD0 is for p&s camera's anddslr's but I assume a lighter weight one like the rebels.

I also bought a Induro CF tripod at the same time and it has worked out perfectly for my needs. Going with a CF tripod is of course the better route to take and is worth saving up for.

Enjoy all of your new gear whatever you end up purchasing!

Denise

ddt0725,

Thanks for your input! I'm merely looking at the 0 instead of a larger one because even that one alone is rated for 17lbs. the max weight with my current and/or future lenses is 7lbs. the 24-70mm is 3lbs and the 7D 2lbs. Even if I were to get a 70-200 down the road it still only weighs no more than 4lbs. Thoughts?

-Mike

Hi Mike,

if you can afford it go a step further and get the most durable/highly rated ballhead you can. I have no idea what my ballhead is rated to but it appears to be at it's limits now as there's some slumping etc when I tighten it up... and there's nothing more frustrating than composing a shot only to find it's moved once you tighten up.

There's onlya $50 difference between the BD0 and the BD2 and it's rated to nearly 40lbs, I think you'd see the benefit in the long term for sure.

Same concept applies with the tripod.

Have fun with the new toys, and remember "Do it once, do it right!". I wish I'd taken my own advice when buying my tripod/head (the price was very right at the time though).

Cheers, Ben.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Ben,

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep that in mind. I don't know if this is me just being too picky but I'm just not a fan of the twist locks on the Induro legs (that are cheaper and hold more weight than the frottos). I much prefer the clamp style on the Manfrottos... Should this affect my decision?

Cheers,

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikehillman89
    I don't know if this is me just being too picky but I'm just not a fan of the twist locks on the Induro legs (that are cheaper and hold more weight than the frottos). I much prefer the clamp style on the Manfrottos... Should this affect my decision?

No. That's why tripods ('real' ones, not the el-cheapo types) are sold as legs and head separately. You can certainly put an Induro ballhead on Manfrotto legs. I have been very happy with my Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 (carbon fiber) tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

I have been very happy with my Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 (carbon fiber) tripod.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

What's the largest combo you've put on them camera and lens wise?

Quote Originally Posted by mikehillman89

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

I have been very happy with my Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 (carbon fiber) tripod.

What's the largest combo you've put on them camera and lens wise?

I use a 7D with BG-E7 grip. The longest/heaviest lens I've used without a tripod collar is an EF 200mm f/2.8L prime. With the appropriate tripod collar, I use anEF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6<span style="color: red;"]LIS(occasionally with anEF 1.4x II Extender) or the physically shorter but slightly heavierEF 70-200mm f/2.8<span style="color: red;"]LIS II (also with the 1.4x extender).