Thread: Free to Download: AndreaMosaic Photomosaic Software

Free to Download: AndreaMosaic Photomosaic Software

I thought I'd share something that is truly fantastic: AndreaMosaic. It's a free photomosaic-creating program that allows you to load images into collections, set parameters, and easily create photomosaics. It works very well, is free, and I highly recommend trying it out.

http://www.andreaplanet.com/andreamosaic/

Some things to keep in mind:

1) It's best to use pictures that are all the same orientation.

2) It's best to resize the images you want to use to something relatively small (except for the overall template image). For the last photomosaic I did, I resized all the tile images to 600 x 400 pixels (VSO image resizer is pretty fast at resizing images in a batch...the older version I have was free, but I'm not absolutely positive it still is...I remember not being pleased with it the last time I upgraded to the newest version, so I re-installed the previous version and have been using it ever since).

Re: Free to Download: AndreaMosaic Photomosaic Software

That looks very cool. I'll have to put this one on the to-do list. Thanks for sharing the link.

No problem. I stumbled upon this program a few years ago when someone asked if I could do a photomosaic. After finding the program, and letting her know that I could, she gave me a memory card full of pictures of her dog (she wanted an overall mosaic of her puppy). She also unknowingly gave me a couple of pictures of herself half naked (her husband was taking pictures of the dog infiltrating the bathroom as she was stepping out of the shower). I'm pretty sure she didn't remember them being on there, and, oddly enough, I decided not to include those pictures in the mosaic...

I've used the program several times since (most recently for a wedding present composed of pictures taken at the wedding). As long as you understand the parameters, it's very easy and does a great job...

Oh no! That's really funny.

That looks cool, I'll have to give it a try.

On a related note, if anyone else here uses Macs, go to System Preferences > Desktop & Screen Saver > Screen Saver. Choose Library, and then click thethirddisplay style button. It makes a really cool mosaic screensaver out of your iPhoto library.

Thanks for the link, this looks really cool. I will have to try it out.

Tried it out and it works great. Unfortunately I am work, so I don't have the picture to post here. Maybe later. First time users be aware that when you select your source images to great the mosaic from, it takes a while to register them all and there is no "cancel" button, so maybe to start don't select your root image folder (thankfully I only chose 2008).

Excellent program. Have been looking all over for something like this for a long time. Thanks for sharing!

Looks really interesting. I am going to have to give it a try.