Thread: UDMA Cards - which Canon camera models will benefit?

UDMA Cards - which Canon camera models will benefit?

I just boughta used 1D MkII and my current 133x 8GB compact flash card slows it down. I only get a couple seconds at 8.5 fps before it slows WAY down.

Would such an old (3yrs!) camera benefit from a UDMA-compliant compact flash card or should I just go for a 300x non-UDMA????

Re: UDMA Cards - which Canon camera models will benefit?

Sorry - The 1D Mark II does notsupport theUDMA standard.

That probably makes your decision easier. I haven't done a lot of testing with the faster cards, so I don't have much advice for you otherwise. I've been happy with the SanDisk Extreme III cards.

Is UDMA's speed advantage apparent only in the camera, or is it faster when uploading images to the computer as well? I see a big difference between SanDisk Ultra II and Extreme III, and then again with the Extreme IV, in the camera, but the real advantage in my totally unscientific view is how much better performance I get in my SanDisk FireWire CF reader. Would UDMA be faster still? Would I need a new reader?

So far, I haven't been able to get over 28 shots in a row before it slows to a crawl. I'm just trying to figure out what card Canon was using when they rated this at 40 shots at 8.5 shots per second.

I've tried a SanDisk Ultra II 4GB and a generic card that says it's 133x.

The amount of shots you will get in a burst is far more dependent on your camera settings, not really the card you are using.
    Because in the burst it is filling the internal buffer prior to writing to the card.

If you are shooting RAW it will not shoot as many in a burst as it would if shooting JPEG, same with the compression setting you have on your JPEG shots.

Other variances in ISO and all the things that change the individual picture file size will play into your burst amount.

There is a chart ofestimated burst quantity in the manual also.

Today I wasshooting Large LPEG's at ISO 200 at about 1/1500th of a second and couldn't get over 28 in a burst at 8.5 shots per second. That's less than 4 seconds of shooting. The average football play lasts 6 seconds, so I've got a problem to solve.

I see the manual says the burst rate of 40 assumes a JPEG quality of 8. I had mine set at 10. So I'll switch to 8 and see if that makes it jump up to 40 ina burst.

Thanks for the help!