Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice Needed for Speedlights and L Brackets

Re: Advice Needed for Speedlights and L Brackets

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan7
    About the new flash...Why?

For strobists,Speedlites are like, well, speed. Somewhat narcotic. Highly addictive. Denise started reading Sean's posts and advice, and I'm afraid we've lost her...

[:P]

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan7

Denise, as far as the L brackets...anything from Kirk, Acratech, RRS or Arca will work fine. You don't need advice on that.

About the new flash...Why? Some buy extra flashes for shooting paid events in case on fails...do you need that capability?
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

There are slight differences in L brackets that's why I asked and I got a very helpful response.
    About the new flash ...yeah, I do. Do you have one to suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

For strobists,Speedlites are like, well, speed. Somewhat narcotic. Highly addictive. Denise started reading Sean's posts and advice, and I'm afraid we've lost her...

[img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]

Ha! Ha! Actually it is alot of fun!! I've been experimenting with lighting &amp; using my softbox or umbrella and Sean's beauty dish. Trying different gels and grids...it's been awesome! My daughter and my dogs have been very patient models! I think I'm ready to move on to my toddler grandkids now ...they don't like to sit still to long while grandma plays with the light settings though!! [:P]

Anyway, just looking for a third to illuminate the background. I don't REALLY need it so that's why I don't want to spend alot but it would help.

I am hoping to eventually move on (way in the future)to doing pet photography (stills &amp; agility photos)for clients of my dog's trainer and donate the money to the local dog shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

Quote Originally Posted by IAMB

Denise, on your item #2 I'd say buy the Kirk. I've had one of their L brackets for my 1dII for about a year now and it's very well built. Also fairly low profile on the bottom so not uncomfortable when shooting vertically.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Thanks so much for responding! This one was my favorite of the 3 to choose from that Isaw online&amp; I was hoping to find someone that actually used it and liked it. It seems these aren't the mos popular gadget to use but I think it would be VERY handy!
    At kirkpoto.com it shows pictures of being able to access everything on the sides with it on which is fantastic.

Thanks again ...looks like this is the one I will be getting!

Denise
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

No problem. You're right in that L brackets are handy to have... mine almost never leaves the camera (considering that its weight is minuscule compared to that of the camera body and considering that it's unobtrusive enough that everything fits into my gear bag exactly the same whether the bracket is attached or not, why bother taking it off?). Another potential use is being able to put together custom flash brackets using fewer pieces (and thus lower cost) by attaching to the vertical plate rather than the bottom one.

Anyway, good luck with the purchase and enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by IAMB
    Another potential use is being able to put together custom flash brackets using fewer pieces (and thus lower cost) by attaching to the vertical plate rather than the bottom one.

Wish I'd of known this before I bought all the pieces I have ...they can be cumbersome!

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

[img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]

I have 10 shoe mount flashes and 2 monolights, and I'm always looking for more.....but I can stop any time I want. *muscle in neck twitches*

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

I have 10 shoe mount flashes and 2 monolights, and I'm always looking for more.....but I can stop any time I want. *muscle in neck twitches*

WOW! Ok, I feel better now ...I have a LONG WAY to go before I'm over my limit for lighting! [:P]

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    I am hoping to eventually move on (way in the future)to doing pet photography (stills &amp; agility photos)for clients of my dog's trainer and donate the money to the local dog shelter.

Admirable Denise :-)

Thanks to everyone for their advice. I ended up ordering the Kirk L bracket and I got a really good deal on a new 430EX II. I also ordered a Canon Macro Ring Lite, a zebra snootand another light stand, etc.so I am very set for accessories for awhile!

Thanks again, everyone!

Denise

Denise,

Just curious as to why you chose the Kirk over the RRS. I just got off the phone with RRS, and I have compared them both until my eyes are crossed, and it seems like the RRS is maybe a nicer bracket. I also found out that the RRS 50D bracket can be used on the 40D, which is what I currently have. The guy I spoke with said that since the fit and contouring are pretty precise, the 40D bracket will NOT fit onto the 50D, partly because the 50D body is ever so slightly wider.

The Kirk site actually lists the same part number for both cameras, so they obviously are interchangeable. I just don't think I like the thickness of the side part of the Kirk when compared with the RRS. When you get yours, would you chime in again? Meanwhile, if I get the RRS, I have 30 days to send it back, so I'll let you know my thoughts on using their 50D bracket on my 40D, too.