Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice Needed for Speedlights and L Brackets

Advice Needed for Speedlights and L Brackets

Hi All,

After a recent daytrip to the Chicago Botanic Gardens and taking some portrait photos at night, I've finally realized I have all the lenses I need for awhile and decided to focus on all the accesssories I still need. I'm looking to save $$ without wasting them on something that won't work with what I have. Which brings me to a few questions ...

#1 - I have a 7D, 580EX II & 430EX II, Yongnuo RF-602. I know I will need to get an additional receiver but I am looking to purchase one more speedlight and don't know if I should...

a) Buy another used 430EX II
    b)YongnuoSpeedlight - doany of these models work with a 7D?I have read some don't.
    c) Is there something else I should look at in speedlights or other types of lighting in general?

Basically, I'm just looking forbackground fill light for portraits.

#2) With a 7D and Induro BHD2 ballhead, which "L" bracket would work best? When Bryan posted the news about theArca-Swiss L Bracket , I thought it was pretty cool until I saw the price, $250.00!

Other Choices:

a)Acratech Universal "L" Bracket - $229.95
    b) Kirk - $140.00
    c) RRS - $140.00
    d)Something else?

Suggestions appreciated! Thanks Much!!

Denise

Re: Advice Needed for Speedlights and L Brackets

Mpex.com just released their newest flash, the LP160. It looks to be a great manual flash (just as powerful as a 580EX, in fact) for $160. If I weren't focusing on monolights at the moment, I'd pick one up for that price. Hurry, though, because they will run out fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

Mpex.com just released their newest flash, the [url="http://www.mpex.com/browse.cfm/4,14648.html]LP160[/url]. It looks to be a great manual flash (just as powerful as a 580EX, in fact) for $160. If I weren't focusing on monolights at the moment, I'd pick one up for that price. Hurry, though, because they will run out fast.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Thanks, Sean! I will definitely take a look at it. You have never steered me wrong yet! BTW - I will be mailing the beauty dish back to you on Friday if I can get out of work early enough ...THANKS SO MUCH!!

Denise

I just saw one 430EX II I was watching on ebay ended while I was a work today @ $0.99 w/ no bids! [:@]

Mpex.com just released their newest flash, the [url="http://www.mpex.com/browse.cfm/4,14648.html]LP160[/url]. It looks to be a great manual flash (just as powerful as a 580EX, in fact) for $160. If I weren't focusing on monolights at the moment, I'd pick one up for that price. Hurry, though, because they will run out fast.
    I agree. If you're going to use this in conjunction with your RF-602sit sounds perfect. The only reason I'd consider another Canon Speedlite for you is if you really find yourself triggering them with your 7D since the LumoPro won't be able to be triggered with your 7D. You may be able to find a 430EX I for under $200 though which would be tempting...

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    Thanks, Sean! I will definitely take a look at it. You have never steered me wrong yet! BTW - I will be mailing the beauty dish back to you on Friday if I can get out of work early enough ...THANKS SO MUCH!!

Denise

No problem. I hope you got some good testing in. ;-)

Denise, on your item #2 I'd say buy the Kirk. I've had one of their L brackets for my 1dII for about a year now and it's very well built. Also fairly low profile on the bottom so not uncomfortable when shooting vertically.

Quote Originally Posted by IAMB

Denise, on your item #2 I'd say buy the Kirk. I've had one of their L brackets for my 1dII for about a year now and it's very well built. Also fairly low profile on the bottom so not uncomfortable when shooting vertically.

Thanks so much for responding! This one was my favorite of the 3 to choose from that Isaw online&amp; I was hoping to find someone that actually used it and liked it. It seems these aren't the mos popular gadget to use but I think it would be VERY handy!
    At kirkpoto.com it shows pictures of being able to access everything on the sides with it on which is fantastic.

Thanks again ...looks like this is the one I will be getting!

Denise

No problem. I hope you got some good testing in. ;-)

Yes, I did! I am still trying to get my daughter to let me post some photos of her!

Denise

Denise, as far as the L brackets...anything from Kirk, Acratech, RRS or Arca will work fine. You don't need advice on that.

About the new flash...Why? Some buy extra flashes for shooting paid events in case on fails...do you need that capability?