Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canadian 5DII Price Drop

Canadian 5DII Price Drop

I just wanted to give everyone who's thinking of buying a 5DII an FYI about the $500 rebate Canon Canada just started on the 5D body / kit. This drops the body to $2399 Canadian and one retailer has it at $2292. The same retailer has the kit at $3037 but most other retailers have the kit down to the US price of $3199.

http://www.photoprice.ca/product/02699/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-II-price.html

I'm not sure exactly how duty and sales tax work for Americans
    importing camera equipment from Canada, but this could be a decent saving for you guys and for
    us up here it's a huge price drop. Man it's tempting and wouldn't you know it, it's my birthday later this month.

Anyone have more info on buying in Canada and importing to the US? I only know about the other way around.

-Yoni

Re: Canadian 5DII Price Drop

Quote Originally Posted by StapledPhoto

I just wanted to give everyone who's thinking of buying a 5DII an FYI about the $500 rebate Canon Canada just started on the 5D body / kit. This drops the body to $2399 Canadian and one retailer has it at $2292. The same retailer has the kit at $3037 but most other retailers have the kit down to the US price of $3199.

http://www.photoprice.ca/product/02699/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-II-price.html

I'm not sure exactly how duty and sales tax work for Americans importing camera equipment from Canada, but this could be a decent saving for you guys and for us up here it's a huge price drop. Man it's tempting and wouldn't you know it, it's my birthday later this month.

Anyone have more info on buying in Canada and importing to the US? I only know about the other way around.

-Yoni
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Hi Yoni, thanks for the information....

I've been debating the whole upgrade thing and I've gone from picking the 7D to the 1DMIV(my wife says no way) to the 5DMII. Looking back at all myphotos, 85% are portraits or landscape and image resolution is really high on my list.

I may wait until September as my wife and I are heading back to the Seychelles for another trip where I'll be performing photographer duties.
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by elmo_2006

I may wait until September as my wife and I are heading back to the Seychelles for another trip where I'll be performing photographer duties.

Perfect! Then you should be able to pick up the $8,000 1Ds IV.

Quote Originally Posted by crosbyharbison

Perfect! Then you should be able to pick up the $8,000 1Ds IV.

LOL, let's see, a 1Ds IV or my 15 years of marriage...hmmmm??????
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

When I saw your post Yoni I went online and looked right away and immediately started to drool (I live in Toronto). Then I started to drool harder when I saw beside it at Aden that for $100 more than the body-only price I could get a 7D with the grip and extra battery.(I was originally looking at getting a 7D instead) So even though I won't be taking advantage of the info you posted, it indirectly lead me to getting me to purchase a discounted item [] haha.

Mike

Out of curiosity I checked the site, and the prices you've mentioned seems to be base prices without "Tax" and "S&amp;H". The column directly to the right lists prices that is all inclusive.

At the point I checked, the lowest base price is $2397 for the 5DMkII body. All inclusive price is $2527.57

I'm not sure how shipping works for those outside the states. But from B&amp;H, domestically at least, you can get an all inclusive pricing of $2399.95. Is there some tariffs involved where it makes it more beneficial for those that live in Canada to purchase? This doesn't seem too beneficial to those living within the US?

Quote Originally Posted by TakahiroW4047

Out of curiosity I checked the site, and the prices you've mentioned seems to be base prices without "Tax" and "S&amp;H". The column directly to the right lists prices that is all inclusive.

At the point I checked, the lowest base price is $2397 for the 5DMkII body. All inclusive price is $2527.57

I'm not sure how shipping works for those outside the states. But from B&amp;H, domestically at least, you can get an all inclusive pricing of $2399.95. Is there some tariffs involved where it makes it more beneficial for those that live in Canada to purchase? This doesn't seem too beneficial to those living within the US?

The only positives (in my opinion at least)are:

1.CAD toUSD exchange rate

2.Low pricing in the US

However keep in mind that if proper shipping methods are not used, brokerage fees will be applied on top of the duties and taxes that need to be collected at the border. I purchased a lens from BHPhoto and had it shipped to Toronto via expedited. After the duties/taxes collected, I still came out on top compared to the price listed here in CA. I've read horror stories where purchases were made and brokerage fees were added and the total cost of the item was 1.5x more expensive than if the product was purchased locally (CAD).

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by elmo_2006

However keep in mind that if proper shipping methods are not used, brokerage fees will be applied on top of the duties and taxes that need to be collected at the border.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

elmo, if you're shipping something expensive to Toronto from B&amp;H ship with FedEx. You pay more up front for the shipping than UPS but there are no brokerage fees charged by FedEx. That way you only pay taxes at the border so it becomes way cheaper.

I bought my 35mm f/2.0 from B&amp;H with a hood and UV filter for $400 US total. I bought it when the dollars were at par so I lost no money in the conversion and just tax. The lens sells alone for $380 in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by TakahiroW4047

You're right that I didn't include the right column price because that will be different for each person. Within Canada we pay less tax buying from a different province because we don't have to pay provincial sales tax, only federal. Shipping obviously also will depend on where you're buying from, but for most retailers it's pretty cheap or you could price match with a retailer that has free shipping.

Do you not still have to pay sales tax on B&amp;H's $2399 price? If not then that is definitely the best deal for you guys. Like I said in my first post, this was mostly beneficial for the Canadian members of the forums but with the exchange and assuming equal taxes, could be a savings for the Americans too.

As for us importing from the US, we have to pay the US sales tax and then the full taxes as if we were buying locally (provincial and federal). Camera equipment is duty free so luckily there's nothing beyond that. If we come down the US we start to get exemption from paying Canadian tax depending on how long we visit for (up to $750 can become tax free I think). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this. Either way with the exchange and extra taxes it's advantageous to buy within Canada unless the price is quite different.

Anyway, for me the lowest body base price I see is still the $2292 I mentioned (is that not showing up for you? - it's from Mostly Digital) which comes to $2445 all-in with $40 shipping (could try to price match to avoid) and 5% tax because it is out of province for me. I think that the exchange gives you guys about 7% off right now so if you guys don't have to pay any extra shipping, duty or taxes then that would be only US$2285 all-in. That's nothing to sneeze at off B&amp;H's $2399, especially if you have to pay sales tax on top of that price, but I guess maybe you don't. The hassle and other possible fees may not make it worth importing to the US, I'm not really sure. If somebody knows about the taxes and duty paid on importing from Canada to the US that would answer that question.

Quote Originally Posted by mikehillman89

When I saw your post Yoni I went
    online and looked right away and immediately started to drool (I live in
    Toronto). Then I started to drool harder when I saw beside it at Aden
    that for $100 more than the body-only price I could get a 7D with the
    grip and extra battery.(I was originally looking at getting a 7D
    instead) So even though I won't be taking advantage of the info you
    posted, it indirectly lead me to getting me to purchase a discounted
    item [img]/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img] haha.

Mike

Nice Mike! Congrats and enjoy your 7D! Happy to help in any indirect way.

Do you not still have to pay sales tax on B&amp;H's $2399 price?

As far as I know, usually the listed price on B&amp;H is the final price. Tax and Shipping included. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but every time I order from B&amp;H or Adorama for that matter I've never had to pay anything additional. (Unless I add in 2-day shipping because I'm impatient like that [])

I'm glad to hear that you guys are getting this discount!! []I wasn't aware of all these additional taxes that were imposed upon up north...seems pretty unfair to me [:S]