Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Video with a 7D

Re: Video with a 7D

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Johnston

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams
    Mike, what is "PM" I have seen this term before, but I don't know what it is.

Means private message, or personal message vs. the forum chat that everyone can see.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Thanks Dave
    Bob

Sean, Great tips, I'll add these to my list of "things to pay attention to"
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by elmo_2006

I have no experience however; I came across the the following link, it seems like a decent place to start...

<span style="color: #800080;"]http://blog.planet5d.com/

Thanks Elmo
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

You need to click Edit next to your name at the top right, go into your profile, click the Site Options tab, and scroll down to select the radio button to Allow Conversations From All Users.
    <div>
    </div>
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Thanks neuro. I've changed that up now. So if you're still interested bob then send me a message. But I do agree with everyone. Let's discuss!

Sean has great tips. (in regards to 1) Handholding the camera for video by itself will produce shake no matter how steady your hands are. Like he mentioned RedRockMicro makes great modular kits that are fantastic for stabilizing the camera but will also run you at least 1000$. A cheaper option would be to look at a Zacuto viewfinder. This converts your LCD screen into a very crisp high-quality viewfinder. It's only about $400 and adds a 3rd point of contact with the body. This alone makes shots very smooth.

(in regards to 2) Agreed. Until you have some money to invest in a RedRockMicro then follow focusing can be very difficult. Rack focuses on a steady tripod can be attempted but don't go too far because the DOF is very very shallow.

(in regards to 3) In a shot of a person or if you're trying to isolate a particular object then a high f-stop is preferred. I always shoot between the 1.8-4 area on a broadcast camera and like Sean suggested, compensate with ND filters.

(in regards to 4) White balance is probably the most important thing you can do. Everytime you change locations or the light even changes a bit make sure to re-white balance. This is integral in keeping your video looking consistent. Use the custom WB mode and shoot a picture of a white piece of paper angled towards your light source before you shoot your video. Then set your camera to use the info off that picture to set your white balance. If you don't have time, then just set it for one of the defaults.

(in regards to 5) When I was doing my 7D tests I found that I could go as high as 800 before I started to feel uneasy about the noise in a video. I guess I might be used to film and grain anyways so this little bit of noise is a regular occurance to me. But yes, generally a continuous light source and lower ISO would be the preferred method.

Another thing to consider is your tripod. Depending on what you plan on doing for your video the tripod head that you get or have will make a huge impact. If you do more stills than video and you just want to experiment with video then I'd recommend a good ballhead with an independent pan lock/feature. I just got everyone's help here on TDP and got myself an Induro BHD1. It's an amazing ballhead for snapping up pictures and repositioning, but the pan feature is so smooth that I can use it to get my nice panning shots for video. (I find the Manfrottos need a big jerk before they start to pan and in video jerk=bad) If you get huge into the video part, I suggest getting a cheap video head so you can do pan and tilts at the same time, but if you're less adventuruous then look at a 3way head. They let you do super smooth independent pan and tilts.

Hope this all helps and I haven't stolen all of your glory Sean...

Let me know if you want to know anything else!

Cheers,

-Mike

Alan

Another thing to mention when doing these videos is to use an external microphone. The Rode Video mic that Bryan suggested is one that works extremely well. It's worked very well for my videos. The clarity is outstanding, and it records in stereo. Without one, the audio is full of camera noise.

Concerning the WB, this is as others have said. It's probably the most important thing to get right. What I've done, if not using a gray card, is to go to Live View, zoom in 5X, then use your judgment on the color of the LCD vs your subject. Often times, I find a warmer setting makes the people look healthier. You can dial in that setting manually by using the custom WB, but more simply use a default setting, such as the "sunny" or "flash" (in good lighting, outdoors). AWB does a good job with lots of light.

Indoors, you'll go a long way to bring in as much light as possible, so an external light source (continuous) is needed. Then, you'll have to change the WB to a lower setting (probably 3000K or less).

Using the fastest lens possible also helps bring in the extra light, though you'll find the DOF may suffer a smidge, depending on the context of what you're videoing.

Hand held works in a pinch, but as others have pointed out, it's going to be shaky. I used to use my typical ball head to move the camera around, but it's too jerky. I switched to an actual video head. The difference in the quality of your video is huge. They cost about $200 (Manfrotto).

Great tips so far, Thanks Sean, Alan, Mike---definitely useful stuff here. In fact, I am pasting your "tips" into a word document that I will gladly post when this string loses momentum.

Ok---

Question #1.-------The 7D owners manual suggests that you shoot video with AF turned off, but I will be shooting lots of fast moving stuff so- what to do, shoot Manual focus anyway or shoot AF and risk the occasional "AF hunting" when a subject moves?

Question #2------what would be the best video speed to shoot at for this type of video? I don't understand why 29 fps is "jumpier" than the slower speeds?

Question #3------Most of my shooting will be outside, in New Mexico, in June and July---Very bright, very sunny,subjects dressed in black- concrete buildings, etc---a contrast nightmare----Low ISO, High shutter speeds---what am I missing? ND filter?

Also, I am installing a new video card and power supply into my computer tonight. Sometimes I can do this in an hour, sometimes it takes a day or two to work out the bugs, so please don't be offended if it takes me some time to respond to your comments and suggestions----

Thanks,

Bob

Bob

Answer #1 - AF is very slow on Live View and to be perfectly honest I'm not even sure it will work while recording. The best thing to do would be to stop down so that you don't kill yourself on DOF and just set it at the beginning. If say you're following a moving subject, practice the move a few times and try doing a quick follow focus while you're panning or whatever. But if you're in a controlled environment always rehearse the shot. It'll save you for when hiccups arise.

Answer #2 - If you watch a lot of movies then you're already accustomed to 24fps. As well, I'm pretty sure that the 7Dwas designed to shoot exclusively at 24p with the other options being.. well, optional. I could be wrong. Any thoughts people?

Answer #3 - ND filter for sure! Depending on exactly where you're shooting I'd say a 3-stop one for general stuff, and a 2-stop ND plus a CPL for nice colours added in a such. But yes, ND filter for sure!

Don't worry! Just be sure that if you're going from an onboard to an external video card that you disable it before plugging in your new card! Sometimes they don't recognize the new card until you disable the onboard one.

Cheers!

Mike

Thanks Mike---Really good helpful stuff here---and thanks for explaining your answers. No, I haven't unplugged my machine yet--maybe tomorrow [:S]
    Bob

No problem. Anything to help someone out.

Just be careful!

Just wanted to take a minute and apologize for ignoring this string this last week or two. Based on recommendations from the forum, I purchased and installed Adobe Premier Elements for video editing. What a nightmare---after almost two weeks of troubleshooting, reconfigurations and driver/software uninstalls and installs and at least 3 email conversations with Adobe, I finally found out why Elements wouldn't work on my system. It seems there is a conflict between Adobe Elements and Mcafee Real time Scanning. Anyway, I know the problem and now I just have to find a solution---

Hmm, seems the more I learn about video, The more I appreciate still photography.

Anyway, My first filming is scheduled in two weeks. Its a 3 day shoot and then off to the "editing room"----My dining room. The tips that many of you have posted have really helped me understand this process better----I'll keep you updated as I go.

Thanks for all of your input.

Bob.

P.S. I am still collecting "tips" all in one document, so I will try and post what I have so far, in the near future.

Bob