Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Video with a 7D

Alan

Re: Video with a 7D

Bob, did you try burning that AVI to a DVD and playing it? Often, I've found that my computer will give a choppy AVI (despite the huge memory the PC has), but once I burn the disc, it plays smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by mikehillman89
    If it's the actual software that seems to be the problem try NeoScene

In the process of downloading NeoScene trial now---I'll let you know how it works when I have a chance to play with it.

Thanks for the tip.

And I promise not to bash PC again just for you[img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]

Hmmm, Mac pro or 500L---decisions decisions [^o)]
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    did you try burning that AVI to a DVD and playing it?

Not yet, I am really trying to avoid it because I will have to process severalfiles by the time my project is completed and it seems very cumbersome to copy to dvd then back into my editing softwarefor each file---If all else fails, I'll do Just that.

Thanks,

Bob
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams

Hmmm, Mac pro or 500L---decisions decisions [img]/emoticons/emotion-40.gif[/img]
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Now that's pure torture... I want both!!!!!!!!

Split the audio and write out a .png sequence - the best way to preserve the source material.

BTW - Working the .mov's directly here in AE, on a PC. -Shea

Some good comments in the thread. I bought the 5d mark ii for the video.

A tripod is essential. So is some eyepiece so that you can get the best focus using live view.

I use an Expodisc for exquisite white balance. Point it at the light source and custom WB to it.

SHOOT AS LITTLE FOOTAGE as possible. Economize. Otherwise you will be drowning in post production manipulating enormous files. Economize in your shooting, be prepared and then just get the great shots. Believe me, you don't have the computer power to process the enormous swap files you are going to create shooting excess video.

Quote Originally Posted by mdubuque

SHOOT AS LITTLE FOOTAGE as possible. Economize. Otherwise you will be drowning in post production manipulating enormous files. Economize in your shooting, be prepared and then just get the great shots.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I disagree. From a video point of view always shoot more than you plan on using because if you shoot the minimum you will always run out of usable footage. Its Murphy's Law. If you're really worried about how much space to save then use the editing feature of the 7D and trim the front and end of the clips till the "action" starts on the camera while you're still out on your shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams

If it's the actual software that seems to be the problem try NeoScene

Ok Mike---Downloaded and used NeoScene to convert .MOV to .AVI----Works Great---Had to do a couple of adjustments, but on the second attempt---I think the converted file looked better than the .MOV---I am very impressed----now I just have to decide if it is worth buying--$129.----I am not serious enough about video to invest in Premier Pro, and since I already own Premier Elements, I guess I will eventually need Conversion Software---This video stuff can get expensive, very quickly---So, for any one thinking about video, This is what I have had to do so far:

1. Upgrade my Graphics Card--I had an old one that came with my machine---$220

2. Upgrade my power supply to support the graphics card--$60

3. Purchased Premier Elements to edit video and sound--$99 (-$20 mail in rebate)

4. Purchased Firewire card and cable to connect accomodate commercial camera I am using from work---$89 (of course firewire is much better than usb for my back up drives as well)

5. If I want to convert Native 7D .MOV files to something usable in Premier Elements, Then buy NeoScene--$129 (Not yet purchased)

total---$597-----Just for the Amatuer/consumer stuff.

6. Of course, If I want to process 7d/5DII HD video natively, I could just buy Premier Pro for $799---But than I would have to upgrade my processor as well to at least 3gig (as recommended by Adobe)---I'll skip this one for now.

There are probably cheaper ways to do video, but this is what I have discovered so far.

I would love to hear what others have realized/discovered through this process.

Bob
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Shea Design
    Split the audio and write out a .png sequence - the best way to preserve the source material

Sorry Shea, I have no idea what this means. Once I start actually using the software, I supposed I'll figure it out. Wish I could go Premier Pro, Its just not in the budget right now.---even at educational pricing.

Thanks

Bob

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by mdubuque

SHOOT AS LITTLE FOOTAGE as possible. Economize. Otherwise you will be drowning in post production manipulating enormous files. Economize in your shooting, be prepared and then just get the great shots.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

I disagree. From a video point of view always shoot more than you plan on using because if you shoot the minimum you will always run out of usable footage. Its Murphy's Law. If you're really worried about how much space to save then use the editing feature of the 7D and trim the front and end of the clips till the "action" starts on the camera while you're still out on your shoot.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

In my case, I think Mike is correct---Since I won't have the opportunity for redo's I have to try and catch anything remotely usable. For my purposes, I expect to have 10-12 hours of video and probably 200 stills for a 30min-1 hour finished product.---thank goodness I am not using film.

Bob
    Bob