Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Video with a 7D

Re: Video with a 7D

I think it will as well. I'm just curious as some video cameras with a dual battery system installed doesn't like to cooperate like so.

Quote Originally Posted by mikehillman89

I think it will as well. I'm just curious as some video cameras with a dual battery system installed doesn't like to cooperate like so.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Sorry Mike, The video shuts down when you open the battery door on the grip----

Lessons learned today:

1. Tripod---Tripod---Tripod

2. When the riot gas pops---use the mask provided [:'(]

3. Its hot on the roof. But... the camera will continue to shoot in 100+ degree temperatures---no errors codes today.

Bob

Hi Bob,

I'm late joining in here, but a few thoughts...

If you want to support the camera in places where a tripod is inconvenient or make a travelling shot from a moving car, then try the videographers best friend, a Well Stuffed Pillow as a camera support. The WSP also comes in handyfor those inevitable gaps in film-making. Aprofessional videographer I know got a30 second single shot of 3 sides of the London's Big Ben clock towerout of my car's sunroofdoing that. My job was to drive as smoothly as the Queen's chauffeur at a steady19 mph to get through all the traffic lights at green around Parliament Square. And it worked, we were making a demoof geotagging videofor integration with online maps.Also remember to clean the windscreen (windshield?) witha black printed newspaperto remove dust, fluff and any smearsif you want to shoot through the windows.

A shooting ratio of 10:1 (tenminutes for every one used) would be pretty good for a "made" sequence. Obviously this varies with thecontent, sometimes only one take is possible - especially if it involves destroying bits of the set.

If you've got a dramatic scene that involves a load of disturbance or destruction, then do watch out for continuity errors. Nothing as annoying as having a broken door magically jump back onto it's hinges between shots or something. May be worth taking an observantfriend along with you specifically to keep a sharp lookout for those things. Give them a stills camera so they can log the positions of stuff from your viewpoint as you go.

Editing. You could make a low resolution proxy version for editing in whicheverisyour favourite editing package, look for the Transcodefunctions. This brings the filesize well within the reach of a MacBook and at the end you recreate the edited sequence from the timeline at full resolution.

I've not looked at the 7D to see if it can make a proxy file at the same time - I suspect not, it's still a fairlynew feature in broadcast quality video cameras, but it may be possible if you can tether your camera to the laptop whilst you shoot.

As the finished product is going to be handed over and used in their work, you may have to do oneextra task and it's tedious. Shot Logging is one of the least fun parts of making movies, and is where you make a written record of who, where, what, when is involved in the shot against the timecode, e.g. 0:02:30 - character X entersscene- 0:02:56 exits. Especially if they have speaking parts. Don't forget to note any music used. (I did tell you shot logging was tedious!maybe it's another task for your observant and by now long-suffering friend). Thisis in case there are digital rights issues with actors(or even privacyissues if you're dealing with convicts or whatever).

Does the timecode on the 7Dzero itselfafter it reaches the duration limit at 0:29:59 ? That might be a bit of a pain to keep track ofin the edit.

Lastly, don't forget togive yourself a mention in the credits at the end. I wish you all the best, good luck !

Quote Originally Posted by chb-tdp
    If you want to support the camera in places where a tripod is inconvenient

Solid advice, Yesterday I used a Styrofoam cooler ---worked pretty well.

Editing. You could make a low resolution proxy version for editing in whicheverisyour favourite editing package, look for the Transcodefunctions. This brings the filesize well within the reach of a MacBook and at the end you recreate the edited sequence from the timeline at full resolution.

This is something I still have to figure out, but sounds very useful---I am using Premier Elements for editing. So I have to convert everything usedfrom the7D.

As the finished product is going to be handed over and used in their work, you may have to do oneextra task and it's tedious. Shot Logging

Luckily, I know all of the participants and am very familiar with the location---So, I don't think this will be neccessary this time.

Does the timecode on the 7Dzero itselfafter it reaches the duration limit at 0:29:59

Yes it does---It stops video and resets. Then if there is any room left on the card, you can start another video---but it will be a short one.

Thanks for the Tips,

Bob

Bob

Yes. Wear the mask. I've got to remember to start carrying one for this weekend lol. That's a bummer. Unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure of shooting one continuous thing for more than 30min so I haven't encountered this problem yet. Any fixes? Or do we just have to live with it?

Mike