Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Video with a 7D

Video with a 7D

Looking for help with shooting videowith a 7D. I realize this site is primarily for still shooters---which I am, but I have been asked to shoot an informal-no fee recruiting video for some guys I work with. Although I have procalimed my ignorance of the subject, They asked me to give it a try anyway---I agreed, just because it sounds like a lot of fun. -----The subject:A recruiting video for a state prison emergency response team. Guns, stun grenades, rapelling, riot control all of that fun stuff.

I am looking for someone who is familiar with 7d/slr video that I can speak with regarding camera setup and otheraspects of using the 7dfor this purpose. I dont really want to use this forum for a video discussion unless several others are interested in following the info.If others are interested, then I will gladly post my questions here.

So-----I have two questions for the group:

1. Is anyone interested in "coaching" me through this endeavor via private email or other media?

2. Would the forum members be interested in following a string regarding video production or would they rather I not discuss video on this site?

Your responses are appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob

Re: Video with a 7D

Hit me up on PM. That's the main reason why I want to buy a 7D. Is for video.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams
    2. Would the forum members be interested in following a string regarding video production or would they rather I not discuss video on this site?

I say discuss it!

Personally, I would appreciate the tips from those with experience shooting video with a Canon dSLR. One reason for that is travel kit choices - my DV camcorder takes up about the same amount of room in the bag as a lens. If I can become convinced that the 7D will meet my (somewhat limited) video needs for a trip, I can take an additional lens instead.

<div>

Quote Originally Posted by mikehillman89
    Hit me up on PM.

Not sure that he can. I can't. You need to click Edit next to your name at the top right, go into your profile, click the Site Options tab, and scroll down to select the radio button to Allow Conversations From All Users.
    </div>

I for one would like to have a thread to reference for shooting videos with my 7D. I tried it verybriefly once and it didn't go so well. Guess, I'm just used to my camcorder.

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by mikehillman89

Hit me up on PM. That's the main reason why I want to buy a 7D. Is for video.

-Mike
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Mike, what is "PM" I have seen this term before, but I don't know what it is.

Thanks
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    I say discuss it!

Great---
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    I tried it verybriefly once and it didn't go so well

I know the feeling Denise. Sounds like we might have some interest here []
    Bob

From the limited shooting I've done with the 7D, I've learned that...

1) Support is quite important--handheld images will likely be very shaky. You can use a monopod or tripod for stability (of course, specially designed shoulder-mount systems like RedRockMicro are ideal).

2) It's quite difficult (for me) to focus on the fly. I work better setting the focus, shooting, then recomposing (and refocusing) again if the subject moves significantly.

3) An ND filter (especially a variable one) can help you get shallow depth of field without resorting to high shutter speeds that sometimes cause jittery video.

4) It's best to get your color temperature right at the time of the initial shooting (I really struggle with this one). I'm don't have the proper software (or knowledge for that matter) to change it afterward (it's much simpler to change the Kelvin temperature in a raw than a video).

5) Just like stills, it's best to shoot at lower ISO values (although not quite as important to my eyes). However, if you plan on shooting indoors, you might want to try buying some continuous light sources.

Ok, time to go to bed. I'm sure I've learned more, but I need some sleep.

Looking for help with shooting videowith a 7D. I realize this site is primarily for still shooters---which I am, but I have been asked to shoot an informal-no fee recruiting video for some guys I work with. Although I have procalimed my ignorance of the subject, They asked me to give it a try anyway---I agreed, just because it sounds like a lot of fun. -----The subject:A recruiting video for a state prison emergency response team. Guns, stun grenades, rapelling, riot control all of that fun stuff.

I am looking for someone who is familiar with 7d/slr video that I can speak with regarding camera setup and otheraspects of using the 7dfor this purpose. I dont really want to use this forum for a video discussion unless several others are interested in following the info.If others are interested, then I will gladly post my questions here.

So-----I have two questions for the group:

1. Is anyone interested in "coaching" me through this endeavor via private email or other media?

Your responses are appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

I have no experience however; I came across the the following link, it seems like a decent place to start...

<span style="color: #800080;"]http://blog.planet5d.com/

Not limited to the Canon 5D, hope this helps and good luck
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

Mike, what is "PM" I have seen this term before, but I don't know what it is.

Means private message, or personal message vs. the forum chat that everyone can see.
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro