Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Wanted -- 5D Mark II or 1D Mark IV?

Re: Help Wanted -- 5D Mark II or 1D Mark IV?

The quality of the 1D series isunsurpassed. The viewfinder, thecompact flashdoor, the battery, the grip, everything is amazing about it. I go for that. Besides, everyone has a 5d or 7d these days; don't you want to feel special?

I say get the 5DmkII and hang onto the 50D.

The 5DII will work really well, especially with that 24-70. It's AF isn't the greatest but once you are use to it's slight short comings you won't really notice them. The frames per second blow but that isn't what this camera is made for.

The upgrade from a 40D (probably the 50D too) to the 7D is huge. The AF system is way more sophisticated. If you shoot in Servo a lot I'd recommend the 7D even from the 50D. Even the jump from 6+ frames to 8 is huge. I didn't think it would be that big of a difference, but it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan7
    That's a heck of a lot of premium for 2fps and a bulkier body. Also remember, you could buy some serious glass for $3000!!!

What can I say, I like bulk. My grip never leaves the 50D. I do have some nice glass, but we all always want more...

I just mentioned weather sealing b/c many people buy 1D bodies for ruggedness. I just mentioned that the xD bodies share some of those qualities. If you want the 1D4, go for it! It's a superb camera and when you're debating between the 5D2, 1D4 and 7D you just can't go wrong. But I can tell you for a fact that the 7D is a major step up from the 50d. Nate upgraded his 40d to a 7D, maybe he could explain. Or peety3. Where are you??? (owns a 1D3, a 40d and several 7Ds).

I must admit the ruggedness is one of the things that appeals to me. I further realize that I am sifting through some great camera bodies. I think that the 50D to the 7D is like the 40D to 50D upgrade, nice but not as great a step as the 40D to the 7D. The 7D takes the 50D and raises the bar still higher. I remember when I got my 50D there was question if the price justified the upgrade from the 40D. I am looking for their thoughts as well. It is a work day, I was just lucky enough to get off.

Wow. That's never happened to me. We hired a pro before I got a DSLR and he brought two Nikon D3X bodies with adjoining expensive nikkor lenses.

I was certainly surprised. This was not just a family friend, it was a legitimate business. Needless to say, I killed my order. And now that I have seen his pictures and mine -- 'good choice'. Which makes a point I may not have emphasized enough, I take great images with what I currently have. I am just mulling around if they could be better and at what cost. Photography has once again become my vice/addiction. It could be much worse.

Chris

One other thought; this is in all honesty a "want" more than "need" situation. Similar to neuro's "wallet full of $100 bills" thread.

What can I say, the .02% intrest is less compelling than new gear.
    <h1 class="CommonTitle"]
    </h1>

Want is an awful thing. You should just get what you want then. Otherwise you will never really be happy with what you settle for. You will always have that itch in the back of your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B
    Want is an awful thing.

That is true, Kieth. I am still sorting though mine. Another option is to continue saving towards the 1D Mark IV and by the time I get there I can get the 5D Mark III and sell the 50D. By the time I can afford both, there could be a 5D III, not that I am waiting for one. I do realize that the best gear is what you have now.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by crosbyharbison
    don't you want to feel special?

Who doesn't?

I know these are both great options, that is why I am looking for experienced advice. I doubt anyone with either body regrets having purchased it.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris White
    I think that the 50D to the 7D is like the 40D to 50D upgrade, nice but not as great a step as the 40D to the 7D.

That's wrong. The 40d and 50d are "sister cameras". Upgrading from 40d to 50d is like upgrading from a 2009 Honda Civic to a 2010 Honda Civic. Upgrading from a 50d to a 7D is like upgrading from a 2009 Honda Civic to a 2010 V8 Shelby GT500. I guess that would make the 1D4 a BMW 7 series.

The 7D is part of a whole different dang line. It is far and away better than the 50d. I'll explain why:

1. ISO 1600 on the 7D looks like ISO 800 on the 50D.

2. 6fps vs 8fps. 7D has larger buffer of larger images.

3. Weather-sealed, better ergonomics.

4. AF is SO MUCH BETTER! the 19pt crosstype really does work excellently.

5. Video mode.

6. The 7D is considered by some to be Canon's best wildlife body.

7. Where's peety3 to tell us just how good it really is?

I agree with you Chris that it isn't based on need. same old same old [|-)]

I think that buying a 5D2 and 7D not only gives you better overall picture quality, you have two superb bodies that complement each other very well. You will NEVER be limited by your gear with those two bad boys. And don't forget the benefit of having two bodies!!! I'd say that'd be the best way to go -- if you have the $.

[I think that buying a 5D2 and 7D not only gives you better overall picture quality, you have two superb bodies that complement each other very well. You will NEVER be limited by your gear with those two bad boys. And don't forget the benefit of having two bodies!!! I'd say that'd be the best way to go -- if you have the $.

5DmkII to 7D: "You complete me."

7D to 5DmkII: "You had me at hello."

Canon said: "Show Me the Money!"

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

5DmkII to 7D: "You complete me."

7D to 5DmkII: "You had me at hello."

Canon said: "Show Me the Money!"

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!!