Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Canon 85mm 1.2 or Sigma 85mm 1.4?

Re: Canon 85mm 1.2 or Sigma 85mm 1.4?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer

The only "problem" I encountered was not being able to capture a shot in bright light conditions, because the exposure was requiring a shutter speed faster than the camera limit of 1/8000s (!).

That is funny, I have actually used the L ISO (50 ISO) setting on my 5DII just so I could continue shooting at 1.2. I guess maybe a good ND filter may be needed. I think most people get them for lower shutter speeds not wider apertures.

Regarding the ISO 50 setting on the 5D2, it is not a "real" sensitivity change. It is equivalent to ISO 100 overexposed one stop, then pulled back one stop from RAW. So you are not actually realizing a true decrease in sensitivity in the highlights.

Quote Originally Posted by wickerprints

Regarding the ISO 50 setting on the 5D2, it is not a "real" sensitivity change. It is equivalent to ISO 100 overexposed one stop, then pulled back one stop from RAW. So you are not actually realizing a true decrease in sensitivity in the highlights.

Yeah I know, I guess I should have said "I resorted to using..."

Quote Originally Posted by <span>Jonathan Huyer
    The only "problem" I encountered was not being able to capture a shot in bright light conditions, because the exposure was requiring a shutter speed faster than the camera limit of 1/8000s (!).

As Keith suggested, a good ND filter is what you need. I ran into this "problem" shooting outdoor portraits with my EF 85mm f/1.8, which is why I now have a B+W ND #103 (0.9/3-stop). I find that to be sufficient (although I also have a #110/3.0/10-stop for long daylight exposures). Obviously, you can just go out on a bright day and stop down the lens to determine what strength of ND filter you need. Going a stop too far on the ND filter is not really an issue, IMO, since there's really no penalty going from ISO 100 to ISO 200 to get the stop back.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B
    Like A LOT of folks base the quality and value of a lens on sharpness and the 1.8 will definitely give you that. The 1.2 gives you sharpness and a lot of character not found in other lenses (not saying the 1.8 doesn't have any character). If sharpness is all you crave then the 1.2 may be a waste of $1500.

Well, I like sharpness and that's one of the characteristics I use to judge lens performance - but it's only one characteristic of several. From reviews, the 85mm f/1.2L is not less sharp than the 85mm f/1.8 at the same apertures across the range; the same cannot be said of the 50mm f/1.2L, where it's lesser brother and it's distant, poor cousin both best it stopped down. But again, that's bested in terms of sharpness, which was (if I recall the way Daniel described) intentionally sacrificed in the optical design of the 50L, in favor of a more pleasing bokeh.

If you have a deep down body need for super shallow DOF and really can see the bokeh difference between the 1.2 and 1.8 at comparable f-stops (it is substantial, but some don't see it), then buy the lens.

I can certainly see it in others' shots, although I've never shot at f/1.2 myself. However, I have used my EF 85mm f/1.8 for several months - while I have some wonderful shots with that lens, I'm bothered by the purple/green fringing in some of my favorite shots, I find the bokeh a bit 'rough', and I've been in quite a few situations where one more stop of aperture would have really helped.

If you have the cash and it won't make you miss a car or mortgage payment.

Not an issue. Thus my "wallet full of $100's" post - my camera gear budget comes from outside consulting that I do, in addition to my day job as a scientist. The day job pays for the house, the cars, the other essentials, and 'little things' like the wood floors we had put in several downstairs rooms earlier this week - and the pair of iPhone 4's that will be pre-ordered soon. Although I don't spend too much time on theon-the-sideconsulting, it pays $200-300/hour, and that means despite buying a 100-400mm in March, a 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II in April, and a 24-105mm f/4L in May, the wallet is bulging again...

Thanks, Keith, for your comments and helpful advice, and to you and others for posting excellent examples!

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    As Keith suggested, a good ND filter is what you need. I ran into this "problem" shooting outdoor portraits with my EF 85mm f/1.8, which is why I now have a B+W ND #103 (0.9/3-stop).

I just received the same ND filter in the mail today ...it's actually my first ND filter so I will see how I like it tomorrow.

the wallet is bulging again

I can imagine how uncomfortable that must be so since I have a severe obsession with this lens, I truly will not mind helping you find some comfort by letting you buy one for me while you are at it!! [] Hmmm, probably not, huh?

Well, since I FINALLY completed my miscellaneous list of this that and everything, I am completely focused again on my lens wish list! The 85mm 1.2L is at the top of it followed by the 70-200mm f/2.8 ...depending of course on what Canon comes out with in September since I won't be able to buy another lens until probably next spring! [:'(]

Denise

Thanks, Keith, for your comments and helpful advice, and to you and others for posting excellent examples!

My pleasure and thanks.

Not an issue. Thus my "wallet full of $100's" post - my camera gear budget comes from outside consulting that I do, in addition to my day job as a scientist. The day job pays for the house, the cars, the other essentials, and 'little things' like the wood floors we had put in several downstairs rooms earlier this week - and the pair of iPhone 4's that will be pre-ordered soon. Although I don't spend too much time on theon-the-sideconsulting, it pays $200-300/hour, and that means despite buying a 100-400mm in March, a 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II in April, and a 24-105mm f/4L in May, the wallet is bulging again...

I wish I had your problems [].

I use to be an art director for a magazine and they paid me separate for my photo work so all the extra cash went to photo gear while my regular pay went to bills and savings. Due to lots of mismanagement and the economy, back in November my magazine got shut down leaving me with out any income.Since, I have been kicking scratching to make a living at photography. The graphic design industry is so upside down, especially in FL, I have all but given up on that.

The first 5 months were some of the scariest of my life but the last 2 months I have made close to what my old job would have paid with out the photography money. I took a little risk purchasing the 35L and the 85L but I really wanted to define a style for myself, something that would separate myself from the local masses.

My years as an art director, seeing many, many different photographer's shots by hundreds of different lenses and cameras has made me very aware of the minute and not so minute differences between them.(Off topic)At the time the 5D had some of the best images I had ever seen, now surpassed by the markII. The Nikon D3 wasn't out long I only saw a handful of images from it but any Nikon before it was a joke. I did see some D700 and wan't too impressed but the photog that used it was sort of a hack.

(Back on topic) I had never had anyone supply images shot with the 85 1.2II or even the MKI, but one photographer (who only worked with natural light) did use the 85 1.8. When I first saw her images, they were differentbut I actually didn't care for the images. The images were shot at 1.8 and were very different since most photographers were using 2.8 zooms (usually shot at higher f/stops). The bokeh on the 85 1.8 to my eye is not smooth and somewhat distracting. I have seen Sean's images shot at higher f/stops and it does take a very nice sharp portrait, I just don't like it wide open.

To get back on track with the OG topic, I have been very impressed with the images shot with the Sigma 50 1.4 and most folks I have talked to first hand have not had the focus or bad copy issues. So I'd wait and at least see what the Sigma 85 1.4 can do before committing $1900 to the Canon.

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    Well, since I FINALLY completed my miscellaneous list of this that and everything, I am completely focused again on my lens wish list!

Sounds like you have bulging wallet syndrome too Denise! You've accumulated more gear in the last 6 months than I have since starting out with my old Minolta Maxxum 7000 in 1995!!!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor

Sounds like you have bulging wallet syndrome too Denise! You've accumulated more gear in the last 6 months than I have since starting out with my old Minolta Maxxum 7000 in 1995!!!

LOL! Hardly, it's just I am extremely low maintenance otherwise and all my kids are grown! After the house and car payment, my 3 dogs are my biggest expense and they are the ones that my $ has to go toward for awhile. Dogs are just as expensive as having kids but at leastwith the kids, I had medical insurance!

Denise

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

Well, since I FINALLY completed my miscellaneous list of this that and everything, I am completely focused again on my lens wish list! The 85mm 1.2L is at the top of it...
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Me, too.

After reading Keith's excellent posts, seeing the images, understanding the reasoning behind why this lens is so distinct, I've also placed this lens on the top of my list.

Even though I don't rely solely on photography to make money, this lens offers more than enough differences to justify having it in my kit.

Everybody always want to buy this lens. For those people whom can't afford it, there is always the rental side, too!! I have rented several lenses over the years from Lensrentals.com, and they are always great!!! They have almost every conceivable lens for almost every application. And their prices are very reasonable!! always an option if you can't afford to buy, or if you want to test a lens before buying, which I plan on doing with the Sigma 85 1.4 before buying. If the sigma is anywhere as close as the 85L, then I will be going down that route, so save me $900, or so. Just a thought!!