Thread: Color correction during printing

Color correction during printing

Hey I've never printed any of my photos before and I've got someone wanting to buy some prints off of me. I had some trial prints done at wal-mart (only $3 for 15 4x6 luster finish). The darkening of the photo was somewhat expected, and I also expected some color change. But this one was dramatic, the original pure bright yellow is now orange. I've been trying to simulate that change on PS so I could possibly counteract it, but no luck. Can anyone help me out? I could order from online printing vendors that does color correction, but I don't want to have to pay shipping every single time : (

Re: Color correction during printing

Are your images in sRGB color space? That's most likely how WalMart's printer is calibrated. Have you calibrated your monitor, either by eye using one of the online tutorials, or (much better) with a spectrometer like the X-rite i1 or the Spyder 3.

I think I need to find a good tutorial somewhere, because I try looking up things and there seems to be so many aspects I don't know exactly where to start.

So screen calibration is my first stop? Some places tell me I should change the display to sRGB and others are telling me to change the color settings in PS... Or is that all part of the same scheme?

Alan

I've had a similar problem with Walgreen's pharmacy (not my usual place, but for a quick print for a relative, it works).

I sent them a few pics, and they also came out darker. Plus, the color temp seemed too warm.

I readjusted the color temp, brightened the image overall, then resubmitted them.

They came out even darker and the WB was unchanged.

Inconsistent results like this are puzzling.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan

I've had a similar problem with Walgreen's pharmacy (not my usual place, but for a quick print for a relative, it works).

I sent them a few pics, and they also came out darker. Plus, the color temp seemed too warm.

I readjusted the color temp, brightened the image overall, then resubmitted them.

They came out even darker and the WB was unchanged.

Inconsistent results like this are puzzling.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

When Walgreens processes an image to print, they run it through an automatic correction program by default (and without informing the customer). Basically, the programbalances (corrects) colorand increases contrast. It works well to make point-and-shoot images look better. However, for the photographer who is trying to control every aspect of the final output,the corrections arequite undesirable. Therefore, you have to call and request that Walgreens turn off all "auto corrections" or "auto enhancements" when producing your prints. If the print processing operator is halfway knowledgeable, they should be able to turn off the auto-corrections quite easily.

By the way, Walmart does the same thing. :-)

Alan

Sean, you're a wizard. How did you find this out? It's great info to know. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan

Sean, you're a wizard. How did you find this out? It's great info to know. Thanks!
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Because he's god trapped in a photographers body... Just a thought.

Your best bet is to call up your printer and find out which colour space they use. Then calibrate you monitor and work in the approrpriate colour space. I use two different printers, the one locally uses Adobe RGB and another I use that is out of town and frames the print for me as well uses SRGB.

I honestly can't see any difference between results from the two provided I am using the correct colour space. Mind you I'm also red/green colour deficient (apparently) so maybe I just can't see it.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

When Walgreens processes an image to print, they run it through an automatic correction program by default (and without informing the customer). Basically, the programbalances (corrects) colorand increases contrast. It works well to make point-and-shoot images look better. However, for the photographer who is trying to control every aspect of the final output,the corrections arequite undesirable. Therefore, you have to call and request that Walgreens turn off all "auto corrections" or "auto enhancements" when producing your prints. If the print processing operator is halfway knowledgeable, they should be able to turn off the auto-corrections quite easily.

By the way, Walmart does the same thing. :-)

AHH!!! Thats why!! I've been going to multiple desktops at work, trying to see how just how much my monitor was different. It wasn't all that drastic as how the photos turned out. In the product description it said "Luster: Produces even more vibrant colors". I thought this was just the property of the finish, but could that be their "auto enhancements"? I wonder if there's anyway to turn this off from online ordering...hate to have to goto walmart twice, in a matter of couple hours. []

rzFoto

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Times New Roman;"]If only one out many of the same order is substantially color-off, the problem usually is the image file itself, not the monitor or the printer.
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<o><span style="font-size: small; font-family: Times New Roman;"]</o>
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Times New Roman;"]Most commercial printers use some kind of sRGB color space, so when you soft-proofing your images in PS, saving the files with sRGB as the embedded ICC Profile and that usually will keep the picture colors every close. <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]Or a even better way &ndash; save the image without the embedding ICC Profile at all &ndash; another words, you are telling the printer to print &ldquo;as is&rdquo;. <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]Also, you can soft-proof your images with the printer&rsquo;s customized profile if the vender provides one.
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<o><span style="font-size: small; font-family: Times New Roman;"]</o>
    <p style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt;" class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Times New Roman;"]As always, no &ldquo;Auto Correction&rdquo; at any time.