Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lens choice for combatting people...

Lens choice for combatting people...

So with the G20 coming to Toronto next weekend I am stuck with a dilema. I work at the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC), and our building is right across the street from the Convention Centre where the talks are going to be held, within the security perimeter might I add. So we've been told to prepare to get locked in/out of the building.

So I've decided I'll take my camera and take pictures of our lovely protestors outside of the perimeter causing havoc. I'm looking at renting a lens to effectively capture the anarchy...

Any suggestions as to which lens I should rent? Preferrably one I could also beat people with if I need to squeeze past them to get to work [A]

My choices so far are a

24-70mm f/2.8
    300mm f/4.0
    70-200mm f/2.8

Anybody have any other suggestions that aren't too expensive for a weekend?

Mike

Re: Lens choice for combatting people...

you need one short lens and one long lens -- your 18-55 at f8 will do fine for wide end, then rent a 70-200 (doesn't have to be f2.8!!!) for long shots. If budget allows it of course the 24-70'd be better.

Quote Originally Posted by mikehillman89

Preferrably one I could also beat people with if I need to squeeze past them to get to work [img]/emoticons/emotion-13.gif[/img]

Get an hotshoe-mounted RPG.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan7

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I should get one of those gun-stock camera stabilizers... That'll make me friendly with all the police and army around...

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan7

rent a 70-200 (doesn't have to be f2.8!!!) for long shots.

Preferrably one I could also beat people with if I need to squeeze past them to get to work [img]/emoticons/emotion-13.gif[/img]

The 2.8 will function far better as a club than the 4.0. Just make sure you go with the insurance.

Typical protest/riot gear would be:

body armor with the lettering "TV" on it

Helmet

Gas mask

Two 1 series bodies with black rapid dual harness

Ultra Wide i.e. 16-35

telephoto i.e. 70-200 or 400 DO IS

I should get one of those gun-stock camera stabilizers... That'll make me friendly with all the police and army around...

Wait, Canada has an army?!? [:P]

(Sorry, couldn't resist the jab, although my grandfather served in the RCAF, and I have a second cousin who's apparently fairly high up in the CSIS, but I guess if he tells me how high up, he'll have to kill me...)

RE your lens choices, will the security folks have a problem with you taking pictures, or will your CBC ID take care of that? The EF 200mm f/2.8L II is the ultimate 'stealth telephoto' lens, long focal length, but physically shorter than a zoom and not painted white.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

Wait, Canada has an army?!? [img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]

Zing! Of course we do!

Sorry to the other Canadians out there in the forums but I just had to...

I'm not sure if my ID will but we'll see. I'll post a new thread when I'm in jail []

24-104mm f/4 - High keeper ratio, decent range. 50mm f/1.8 if you want to reduce risk to equipment and need fast glass.

BTW - The 300mm f/4 is great at distance, and a decent blunt object.

-Shea

Had I been allowed to go to the G20 summit while it was in Pittsburgh, (grumbling against my parents) I would have shot wide I think. Take in as much action as you can. Wide would be my personal interest, although I'd definitely bring a telephoto to stay out of the mischief. Any of the 70-200s would be a good choice in my opinion. But make sure the rioters don't target you for the sexy glass you'll be carrying around!

Yeah. I think I'll go with my trusty 35mm f/2.0 and rent one of the 70-200mm... haven't decided which one yet. I can no doubt get away with the f/4.0, but I'm just thinking about the fact that I'll be done my shifts when it's starting to get dark/practically dusk so maybe the f/2.8.... decisions decisions.