Thread: Noise reducing software

Noise reducing software

I have a few wedding shots I want to reduce noise on.

I am deciding between Niinja, Noiseware, Neat Image and Topaz

I am not impressed with lightroom or CS4 for noise reduction.

I need input from real users on which program they find most helpful.

Thank you

Re: Noise reducing software

Hi,

I am using Neat Image. I have been using it for 2-3 years and I like the results and the fine tuning options. I have tried many others but I prefer Neat Image. I only use it for complex noise reduction. For easy noise reduction I use DPP or LR3 which I think has become very good.

The Luminous Landscape had an article a few days ago about Topaz if you are considering it http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/software/topaz.shtml

I am very careful with noise reduction. I think it can completely destroy an image and give it a plastic look. I can go heavy handed on chroma reduction but I hardly ever touch the luminance button. If I have to I prefer to do local sharpening before print.

I believe all the software you have on your list will do a good job, some are a hair better but it is also about work flow and user interface. Some programs are just easier to use than others.

My choice: Neat Image.

- Johnny

there was a test in local photo magazine about this.

best score: PictureCode Noise Ninja 2.3.2

i'm using it and i'm ok with it!

I have tried just about every noise reduction software out there, andBY FAR the best is DXO. They have an exaple on there website which lines up exctally with my images. Here is the link http://www.dxo.com/en/photo/dxo_optics_pro/raw_conversion#ISO.

Not too mention they have the best RAW conversion I have tried yet.

John.

I find that lightroom 3 is about the same as those you mentioned. Lightroom 2 needed improvement, and it is greatly improved in ver 3. Have you tried it?

Hey iND,

I've recently started using Noiseware. Before this, I was using Lightroom, which I now realize really didn't do much. I don't have experience with any of the other programs, but Noiseware has my vote!

Bogdan

I use noise ninja and like it. I don't use it that often as I don't mind a little grain in my photos. CS5 has ok noise reduction that is enough for me. Good luck with your choice. There are plenty of good ones out there. I don't think you could go wrong with any of your choices.

My wife and I like the 'Wavelet Denoise' plugin (free) for Gimp (also free). It does a better job than the noise reduction in DPP. How it compares to Noise Ninja, I have no idea.

The downside is that Gimp will only work with 8-bit files at the moment, so if you're attempting to maintain an 16-bit TIFF workflow you'll be out of luck. I think they're implementing a new engine in GIMP that will handle 16 bit, but I have no idea when that will be ready.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

CS5 and lightroom 3 have greatly improved raw image conversion and noise reduction. Lightroom can be set to apply a standard abount of nr settings for each camera and ISO as you import images,I seldom need to tweak it.

Prior to LR3, the separate noise reduction software was a bit better, but time consuming.