Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Panorama

Re: Panorama

If I were to crop the original image at all, I would bring the bottom border up 8%. The scene is about nature, the color green, the clouds and the blue sky, with the road included as a tension to that.

But my personal view is that there is just a BIT too much pavent and concrete in the image. I would eliminate the bottom 8% so you have a bit more nature and a bit less petrochemical artifact (humans, roads, asphalt, petroleum, etc.)

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Yep I like the cropped shot much more, not just for the rule of thirds but it serves as a point.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] You can have people bag the rule of thirds and discuss it till the cows come home, it is just a base and in your shot the road fits in that niche, professional. <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]Lets face it at the end of the day it is what you like and what sells.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Keep up the good work mate.[]

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky
    .I think the rule of thirds or any other photography rule is something you need to use as a reference

I agree. I like to break the rule to see what we can get. I like the first picture better too, and I like those clouds.

I think the basic concept behind the rule of thirds, a rule which is good to know but must be broken when required, is that it's often a great idea to place the theme of the shot towards the center of the frame. Kind of like positioning your pieces towards the center of the board in a game of chess.

But in my view the theme of this shot is NOT the road. The road is secondary. The THEME of the shot is natural beauty, Caribbean light, sweeping natural panoramas, great sky, super clouds, a wide shot, a magnificent day.

The SECONDARY theme is that of the journey, the road travelled, the human made contrast to the natural scene that fills the frame and warms our hearts.

Therefore it BREAKS and VIOLATES the rule of thirds to try to place the secondary theme towards the center.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.45.01/truck-top-pano-2.jpg[/img]

I think i'll settle on this composition. I like seeing the whole cloud, and the road is at the 1/4 line, more or less...

The rule of thirds isdefinitelyhas it's place, but I like to use it as a guideline, more than a rule. The effect i wanted with this photo was to get a feel for the size of the landscape and the beautiful sky and clouds. The road was kinda serendipitous. I didn't even really notice that it was in my frame until i put the images together on the computer...

Fun fact: the scene from the movie fast and furious where they steal the tanker trailers was shot along that road.

Great shot. Congratulations. That Caribbean light is something special, isn't it?