Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panorama

Panorama

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.45.01/TTPano.jpg[/img]

This is my first post, and I hope it works! This is my favorite shot, It was shot from the top of a cube van somewherein-betweensanto-domingo and port-au-prince. What do you think of it?

Re: Panorama

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Welcome to the forum.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Yeah I like it, throw some details in for us will you?<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Always tricky to take good photos in the middle of the day, it looks like mid dayish, polarizing lens? Road leading the eye around the corner, maybe a bit cut in half, rule of thirds and all that jazz, and focal point, what was it that you were trying to put the most emphasis on? Have your rule of third cross hairs on that.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Nice photo though, keep up the good work.
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<o><span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]</o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<o><span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]</o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Scott

Rebel XS +18-55IS, CPOL on a tripod with DIY panohead. I've been debating cropping off some of the right side bringing the road closer to the 1/3 line, but I'm worried that the clouds will look out of place. What do you think?

<span style="font-family: Verdana; color: black; font-size: 9pt;"]I think you&rsquo;re on the money with the crop idea, make the road on the third lines, gives your eye something to follow, a point of interest. I wouldn't worry about the cloud, there just there. Landscape panorama photography is a challenge if you ask me, it has been done to death but I think you&rsquo;re on the right track or road hehe.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] You just need something extra to make your mind think and I believe you have got it with the road.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] All the best mate<o></o>

How about like this?

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.45.01/2.jpg[/img]

First of all: Welcome!! []

Second: I like your shot! A much better panorama than I've ever made [Y]

I do agree that I'd like to see some info. Also some info like shutterspeed, aperture etc could be nice to help rookies like me understand how such a photo is made and teach us something.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbonator
    How about like this?

I think the first post is way better. To be honest...I think the rule of thirds or any other photography rule is something you need to use as a reference, not as a fact. If every photo was shot(or cropped) at the rule of thirds, it would be getting pretty boring as well wouldn't it? [A]

Have fun around here and I hope to see some more of your work [Y]

Jan

Thanks for the comments! The picture was f/8, 1/160 sec, at 18mm, 7 pictures in portrait orientation. stitched using photoshop CS4.

Great shot Carbonator and welcome! I agree with everyone else and prefer the cropped one. The road s more predominant and gives you somehting to rest your eyes on.

Good luck on your future shots!

Mike

The majority should not necessarily determine which is the better shot. I much prefer the first shot for the reasons you stated. Don't freak out about the rule of thirds.... geez you need to know the rules AND you need to know when to break them.

Was it difficult to learn the stitching process? How much overlap between the images did you have?

By BREAKING the rule of thirds in the original shot, you allow, indeed demand that the eyes rove across the magnificent landscape. There SHOULD be no one place the eye is necessarily drawn to. Of course you need composition and framing, but in wide angle panoramics, you want to suck the viewer into the ENTIRE space, to swim in it, to immerse themselves in the water of the image....