Thread: First Video With 7D!

First Video With 7D!

I recently got a brand new 7D last week, and I've been fiddling around with taking video and Adobe After Affects to figure things out. I have finally finished my first product!

I have never done video work before and you wouldn't believe how much time I spent trying to figure out how to simply cut a video, let alone add music and transition effects. Please let me know how you like it!

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwspjrPQgv4]

It was filmed at 1080p@24fps~44Mbps, color edits in After Affects, then rendered down to 720p@24fps~30Mbps to upload to YouTube. I filmed it on the evening of the 20th on the banks of the Potomac.

Please view it in 720p!!!

<span>----------------------------------------<wbr />---------------------------------------

Camera
    Body: Canon EOS 7D
    Lens: Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Filter: B+W 58mm
    MRC UV

F-stop: &fnof; / 2.2
    Shutter: N/A
    ISO: 100
    Focal
    length: 85mm

----------------------------------------<wbr />---------------------------------------

Re: First Video With 7D!

And the next step is having more than one scene...something I have yet to master myself. ;-)

The video portion does take time to master. I've been in school for 4yrs now for TV and still am learning new stuff every day! Just keep at it! Try some focus pulls between a foreground and background object. They're fun and look awesome with an open aperture.

Quote Originally Posted by mikehillman89
    The video portion does take time to master. I've been in school for 4yrs now for TV and still am learning new stuff every day! Just keep at it! Try some focus pulls between a foreground and background object. They're fun and look awesome with an open aperture.

It's a matter of personal preference, but I'd say use the focus pull sparingly. Focus pulling isn't used all that much in movies (although some), and tends to be overused by SLR videographers who do it simply because they can (in other words, the focus pulling isn't used as a vehicle to movethe plotline thread forward).In a short 8-12 scene movie, I personally wouldn't do it more than once unless there was a good reason for it. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

Focus pulling isn't used all that much in movies (although some), and tends to be overused by SLR videographers who do it simply because they can (in other words, the focus pulling isn't used as a vehicle to movethe plotline thread forward)
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

You know, now that you mention it, I see your point. I just rewatched the house finale and noticed that there are an unusually high number of focus pulls compared to previous episodes... Hmm... SLR abuse?[*-)]

Nice scene Garrett, that's also as far as I've succeeded yet...filming is really a different discipline than photographing...

Yea I guess you're right about the focus pulling Sean...I also like it that I can do i, because it gives me the idea that I can do a special effect in my video [:P]

I read that House is now shotusing Canon 5D and they were availed of some particularly wide aperture lenses - so that would be a yes to your question. Like many things in life, just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Garrett, this is very impressive for a first attempt! I really like the chosen music for the scene! Keep on going with this new found talent of yours ...I look forward to seeing more that you have put together over time. [Y]

Denise