Thread: 3 different WWII bombers in flight

3 different WWII bombers in flight

havent been on in a bit, too much work and not enough play lately.....caught 3 different WW II bombers in flight this weekend, all 3 owned by the Canadian Warplane Heritage out of hamilton ontario canada. in all i took 400 shots, but these are 3 shots that i really love. all were shot with my XSi and 100-400 lens, with a hoya C-pol filter. i havent shot planes of any type in a long time....since i was shooting film on my eos 650, so i am a little rusty, so please be gentle to me.......lol

Lancaster bomber, one of only 2 airworthy in the world, shot at 1/250 sec, f/9, iso200 at 190mm focal length.........yeah, he was right bloody low

PBY Canso, shot at 1/250, f/8, iso 200, at 170mm.....yep, he was low too......lol

B-25 mitchell, shot at 1/250, f/10, iso200, at 250mm......not as low as the other guys, but, man, can a B-25 move. care to count the .50's on this guy??

thanks for comments and suggestion as always

jim

Re: 3 different WWII bombers in flight

Very nice photos. I really want a 100-400. I was at an air show a couple months ago and my 70-200 just didn't have enough reach for most of the shots.

Glad to see another Hamiltonian on the forums! Great photos! They're all still better than any aircraft I've shot. I don't have a long enough lens.

Mike

thanks mike and tucson, that morning i took all my photos, 400mm was a little long though, as you can see by the exif data i posted......all the warbirds and trainers were real low and i had to keep pulling back the zoom to get the big planes fully into frame, i prob could have gotten away with my 70-200f/4L with out the 1.4 extender, but alas, i left it home. i have other shots of bi-planes where i did use the full 400mm zoom and i could see the pilot and passenger quite clearly in the photos, even some pics of the passenger holding his camera taking pics.

Thanx

jim

Yeah i don't know if you know but you can actually take rides in most of their planes on the occasions that they fly them!

i knew that........but didnt have the $2000 for a ride in the lanc.......lol.......if i remember correctly it's $150 for a years membership with a ride in a trainer like the cornell, tigermoth, or stearman. i also still remember back in the day, (before some crazies decided to park a couple 767's into the world trade centre), when hamilton had the 2nd largest airshow in canada every fathers day weekend.........i miss those airshows.........i still have a photo album around somewhere full of airshow pics from my old EOS 650 and 70-210f/4 lens......

jim

I know eh? I went with my dad every year as well!

Didn't know it was That expensive lol.

all i can say is......at least the membership fees go to a good cause......keeping these old girls flying.......not many of them left.....

too bad the warplaneheritage lost some birds in the last bunch of years......hurricane - lost in fire, FG-1D corsair- sold, TBF avenger - not sure what happened to it, but they are restoring another.........

jim

very true. There's nothing quite like waking up on a sunday morning to the lanc thundering over your place.

I wish they would get a spitfire... that would be amazing.

that would be good........a spit......another hurricane......mustang would be good.......fly em all at once........wake up southern ontario with the roar of merlin engines.........hehehehe