Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A beginner with high aspirations

Re: A beginner with high aspirations

Thank you for all of your input. I left out a tidbit of information : I did just buy a 580ex ii flash from ebay and I should get it within a couple of days.

As far as full frame, yes I plan on getting one within the next two years therefore I'm staying away from the EF-S lenses.

As much as I take photos around the house, I also take pictures outside - portrats, landscape, and nature.

I like what was stated above "IS stabilizes your camera and not your subject". That statement alone makes me think that the 24-70mm is the right choice, but boy do I wish it had IS.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

Then again, I've seen some fantastic images made with a $100 50mm f/1.8 plastic wonder and a couple of off-camera shoe mount flashes.

I don't have the fantastic plastic nifty-fifty, but this was made with the 50mm f/1.4 and two (relatively cheap) shoe mount flashes:

In my opinion, as long as you have a lens that performs decently, you can do more for your images with creative lighting.

Hi, jeustace!

I agree 100% with Sean. It's more about the light than about the glass.

I wish I knew it before...

Alex.

jeustace,

Whatever lens you end up choosing as long as you know the limits and capabilities of it then you'll be able to produce fantastic images with it. I just got a 580ex ii as well with my dad, and trying out the techniques that Sean discussed in his articles [insert articles here perhaps?] about strobism I've learned a whole lot of new and great techniques. I encourage to take a peak!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by alex_sb
    It's more about the light than about the glass.

Even the glass is about the light! [:P]
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

I agree here with this lens. Low cost investment that I think takes some pretty decent photos. I find it's hit or miss, either it's good or it's bad. The AF is not so great, I find I use the MF a lot more with this lens than the other L lenses I use. Here's a link to some recent photos I took with the lens on my XSi. http://www.flickr.com/photos/ky_calulot

I agree with much of what has been said here. I wonder though, are you set on getting a zoom lens? The reason I ask, is that very FANTASTIC photos can be made with much less expensive equipment than the two L zooms or even the 17-55 2.8 IS.

Consider that the 50mm f 1.8 is less than 100 dollars. A simple search on flickr will easily show you what the lens is capable of. I have read from and agree with several sources that say beginning your photography learning experience with a single focal length lens can greatly improve your ability to compose as it really forces you to use your head a little more.

In the end, you were going to drop over $1000 on a lens, so what is $99 in theinterim?

The other thing I was wondering about was, how far into the future do you see yourself moving to full frame? And also, how do you feel about selling your equipment? The reason I ask is, if you don't plan on moving to full frame in the next year or so, I KNOW there will be situations where you will be dissapointed with the wide end of the 24-105 or the 24-70 on a crop body camera. If you think you could use the 17-55 2.8 IS in the meantime, and you think you would like it. GET IT. It has L image quality. L quality autofocus. L quality image stabilization and a 2.8 aperature. That lens may lose 150-200 dollars from the price you paid for it in the few years you have it, but you cant replace being happy with what you have while you have it, and you can't replace pictures that you would not have gotten if you had a lens that couldn't do what you wanted it to.

Food for thought.

Good luck on your decision.

Dave.
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

my simple 1.6 crop formula:

For outdoor shooting: 24-105mm. (add canon 10-22 or tokina 11-16 for wide angle, 85mm 1.8 for fast prime??)

For indoor shooting: 17-55mm. (85 1.8 for longer shots?)

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan7

my simple 1.6 crop formula:

For outdoor shooting: 24-105mm. (add canon 10-22 or tokina 11-16 for wide angle, 85mm 1.8 for fast prime??)

For indoor shooting: 17-55mm. (85 1.8 for longer shots?)

I have pretty much that setup on the short end (17-55mm for indoors, 10-22mm and 24-105mm for outdoors, and 85mm f/1.8 for both), and it works great. Only thing missing from the list is a 3-stop or so ND filter for the 85mm f/1.8 if you want to shoot wide outdoors.

Welcome Jeustace. Am a new member too and am in the initial transition phase of switching over from SLR/film rolls to Digital SLR, and believe me, this is taking quite a lot of me to achieve this shift.

Correct me readers if I am wrong........ ( Just bought a Canon EOD 500D and an still getting used to the literature/functions; having gone through my camera's instruction manual a bit).... .......One thing though, with the Film/SLR you had the freedom to set /vary the aperture/speed/ISI independently .

From what I have read on the posts ( including yours) I get the impression that this can not be done in digital SLR's hence the need to go iin for dfferent lenses.

Await comments/advice from all you experienced digital SLR 'gurus'

Cheers,

Atul

Quote Originally Posted by atulmehta1000
    One thing though, with the Film/SLR you had the freedom to set /vary the aperture/speed/ISI independently .

The letters on your control knob help determine your control of the cameras functions. For example.

Green square- FULL AUTOMATIC. No control.

P- Allows for user adjustment of ISO and onboard flash (on/off) as well as exposure compensation. No defined control of shutter or aperture.

Av- Aperture priority. User defines aperature, camera handles the shutter speed (and iso if you have it on auto). +exposure compensation.

Tv- Shutter priority. User defines shutter speed, camera handles the aperture (and iso if you have it on auto). +exposure compensation.

M- Manual. User defines Shutter speed, aperture, ISO.

So you see, you can vary those values independently, but the MOST control comes from the manual mode. Hope this helps, Atul. Welcome to the forums.

Regards,

Dave.
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro