Thread: 7D + OCF Vivitar 285HV + ??? = Rear Curtain Flash

7D + OCF Vivitar 285HV + ??? = Rear Curtain Flash

So to my knowledge Canon does not support rear curtain flash unless it's a Canon speedlight mounted on the camera. So to achieve the same effect off camera, I'm being very, VERY optimistic by hoping that there's some unknown 3rd party gadgetry that can manually delay the wireless trigger!?!? [:P] Anyone know of any??

Too bad the new LumoPro160 didn't come with that built-in feature []

Re: 7D + OCF Vivitar 285HV + ??? = Rear Curtain Flash

You could try setting your pop-up flash to rear curtain and have that trigger you Vivitar optically (that would require that you have an optical slave of course). I am not aware of any other way to accomplish this, but maybe Sean will...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

You could try setting your pop-up flash to rear curtain and have that trigger you Vivitar optically (that would require that you have an optical slave of course). I am not aware of any other way to accomplish this, but maybe Sean will...
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

An optical slave would be my suggestion as well (and, if I remember correctly, the LP160 does have a built-in optical slave). You'll need to make sure you turn off all forms of pre-flash (like AF assist or E-TTL) on the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

<div style="CLEAR:both;"]</div>

An optical slave would be my suggestion as well (and, if I remember correctly, the LP160 does have a built-in optical slave). You'll need to make sure you turn off all forms of pre-flash (like AF assist or E-TTL) on the camera.

Ah!! Of course!! I'm still getting used to the 7D so I didn't know the popup flash has rear curtain capabilities. Any suggestions for a cheap optical trigger that will attach to a Vivitar relatively easy??

Thanks guys!!

Depends. The Wein Optical Peanut Slave works decently indoors, but I wouldn't trust it outdoors. Speaking of the Peanut, Wein offers a version that is supposed to sense pre-flashes and only fire on the main flash. However, the jury's still out on how well it works (it does for some and not for others). Unfortunately, the peanut slaves are a bit limited because they have to be able to directly "see" the triggering flash (and their small size means that even the Vivitar's foot can block it).

I've had good luck with flashzebra's optical slaves. I have this one that I use with the #0128 Hotshoe adapter mentioned in the description. However, they make a Vivitar-specific version that plugs straight into the sync port. I think it would probably be the best option for you.