Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need a lens, I don't have money

I need a lens, I don't have money

I put "I don't have money" in the title not as a literal statement, but something close. I am going to an airshow at the end of July and want to use that as an excuse to buy a lens. I currently have a Canon 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 II a Canon 50mm 1.8, and a Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro. I want a lens to use to try on flying planes at the airshow which means a Tele of some sort. I think a zoom would be more all round practical for me, but I could be swayed.

As for money. I'll have $200 for sure and maybe could swing $250-270 but no more than that. I understand that won't get me L glass, (unless one of you have gone nuts and want to sell an L lens for that ) and that's OK. I just want to get the best value for my money and would appreciate input in that price range.

Thanks!

Re: I need a lens, I don't have money

I will suggest renting a 100-400.

If you are determined that you will only spend money if you can keep the lens, the 75-300 seems to be the only (Canon) option in your price range. But I would say either use what you have (Sigma 150) or rent the 100-400.

Quote Originally Posted by TucsonTRD
    If you are determined that you will only spend money if you can keep the lens

yeah, you hit the nail on the head. It takes me too long to save up that money to spend it on a rental.

I'll throw out there that I am willing to buy used and a couple have popped up in the right range:

100-300 4.5-5.6

sigma 70-300 4-5.6 dg macro

canon 70-300 4.5-5.6 IS

Agree with<span>TucsonTRDthat your best option for the air show is to rent the 100-400mm.

<span>Barring that, if you're set on buying a lens, your Canon choices are limited to the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III (whichTucsonTRD mentioned) and the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, assuming you have a 1.6x body other than the 10D. Of those two, I think the EF-S55-250mm will give you somewhat better image quality, and it also has IS which is a nice feature.

Tamron and Sigma both have lenses similar to the EF 75-300mmf/4-5.6III in terms of cost, and probably in terms of quality as well.

So, assuming you have a body that's compatible with EF-S lenses, I think theEF-S55-250mm is your best option if you are purchasing a lens in that price range.

don't expect to buy a good tele lens for $270. I hate how much these damn things cost [8o|]

yeah try holding up a camera shop [&amp;][:P]

Quote Originally Posted by Whatsreal

I'll throw out there that I am willing to buy used and a couple have popped up in the right range:

canon 70-300 4.5-5.6 IS

Dig into that one - there's no such lens. There are a whole bunch of different 75-300mm f/4-5.6 lenses (f/4, not f/4.5, -/+ USM, MkI/II/III, and one with IS.). There are only two 70-300mm Canon lenses - a70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM lens (that's the only one of this whole group that starts at f/4.5, and it retails for $1200, so that's probably not it), and a 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM. If it's that last one, that's the best choice of the ones you're considering, if it's in good condition - but make sure it's 70-300mm, not 75-300mm.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    Dig into that one - there's no such lens. There are a whole bunch of different 75-300mm f/4-5.6 lenses (f/4, not f/4.5, -/+ USM, MkI/II/III, and one with IS.). There are only two 70-300mm Canon lenses - a70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM lens (that's the only one of this whole group that starts at f/4.5, and it retails for $1200, so that's probably not it), and a 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM. If it's that last one, that's the best choice of the ones you're considering, if it's in good condition - but make sure it's 70-300mm, not 75-300mm.

yeah, my bad on slapping that .5 in there []

In that case, get the used70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM (assuming it's in good shape). IQ will be slightly better than the EF-S 55-250mm, and build quality will be noticeably better, it's 50mm longer, and has USM. The Canon 70-300mm IS usually sells used in the $375-425 range. If you're able to find one that fits your budget, you're getting a great deal! Else, the EF-S 55-250m would be my recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by Whatsreal

It takes me too long to save up that money to spend it on a rental.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Have you considered using what you currently have for the air show and saving for longer and buying a used 70-200 f/4L (non-IS)?

You can find them for around $500 and you will have a great telephoto zoom for outdoor use.

Don't buy a lens that isn't right for you.

Don't buy a lens that won't hold its resale value.

Chances are good that a lens that isn't right for you isn't right for others either, and won't hold its value.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.