Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canon 35mm f/1.4 L - UPDATE: I LOVE THIS LENS!

Canon 35mm f/1.4 L - UPDATE: I LOVE THIS LENS!

Good Morning Everyone!

I was just going over my lens short wish list and this one is very near the top of it along with a few others. I have a few months ahead to decide on one.

I have read many great reviews on the 35mm f/1.4 L although I have not seen much said about it on this site. For any of you that have used it, what is your opinion of it? Is it worth the $. Only negative I have found elsewhere is that it is slightly overpriced.

Also, there are two listings on Amazon for it, different dimensions, price & model numbers ...aren't the the same lens?

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-35MM-1-4L-Wide-Angle/dp/B00005KHS3/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1277567551&sr=8-4-spell

and

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009R6WY/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf _rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1H23CWX5VKA9QMZNVZ8M&pf_rd_t=101 &pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

All reviews and opinions appreciated!

Denise

Re: Canon 35mm f/1.4 L

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    I was just going over my lens short wish list and this one is very near the top of it along with a few others. I have a few months ahead to decide on one.

If you have the money get it.

I have read many great reviews on the 35mm f/1.4 L although I have not seen much said about it on this site. For any of you that have used it, what is your opinion of it? Is it worth the $. Only negative I have found elsewhere is that it is slightly overpriced.

You have a 50 1.4. Is that 15mm worth $1500? If yes then buy it. It's a great lens (I've rented it) but it's due to be replaced soon. Personally for me 35mm isn't any more useful than 50mm. I'd use the $1500 to get something else.

All reviews and opinions appreciated!

Rent the lens then decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan7

If you have the money get it.

Ummm....ok.

You have a 50 1.4. Is that 15mm worth $1500? If yes then buy it. It's a great lens (I've rented it) but it's due to be replaced soon. Personally for me 35mm isn't any more useful than 50mm. I'd use the $1500 to get something else.

So, if I have the money...don't get it?

Rent the lens then decide.
    Why blow money for somethingI'd want to own long term? I can see if it is for a specific one time very short term purpose that you need a certain lens forbut most places have a money back guarantee less shipping. Shipping is less than rental fees. I don't get the benefit of renting.

Also, there is a huge difference in IQ with the 35mm f/1.4 L and 50mm 1.4 that I have wouldn't you think? I really don't think they are even close.

Denise

The 35 1.4 is light years better than the 50 1.4. The 35 is very, very sharp and for a wide angle the bokeh is very smooth and dreamy. I've seen people comment that the bokeh is "nervous" looking, I think they may be comparing it to a telephoto which isn't a fair comparison. For a wide it is as good as you can get IMO.

The 35 is a great compliment to my 85 1.2. The images have a consistent look between them, I definitely can not say the same for the 50 1.4. I try to use those 2 lenses when ever possible. The images just look so much better than any zoom I have ever owned.

As far as the 35 getting an update; I personally don't expect it this year. The 24 1.4 was updated a year and a half ago because it had deficiencies. The update to the 24 is said to have brought it close to (but not quite) the IQ of the 35. So I don't think Canon is in a rush to update the 35. If it is updated I'd expect it with the 5DIII which is probably a year and a half away.

I have always been curious to the neglect this lens gets on this site. Bryan only has it in a couple recommended lists and they are low on them.

Are you asking if 35mm and f/1.4 is worth the money, or whether, assuming you want a 35mm f/1.4 lens, Canon's 35mm f/1.4 L is a good one?

In answer to the second question, I've never used it but many on this site seem to love it. Based on Bryan's review and all the good things I've heard about the 35
    f/1.4 on this site and elsewhere, I would have no reservations about
    buying the lens if I wanted that focal length and aperture.

As to the first question, my personal feeling is that for my shooting style, speed and sharpness are not that important for a wideish lens. I don't care so much for speed because with wide angle, I usually am not trying to obliterate the background, but rather to include it. Sharpness isn't super important because I'm probably not going to crop heavily (a long lens can never be sharp enough because sharper means you can crop more... that is, sharper means more reach). So for me, the cheaper and more versatile 17-40 f/4 is fine.

That said, some people like the awesome hand-holdability of a fast, short lens and some *do* like the narrow DOF effect at shorter focal lengths. And some just like super-sharp pictures, even if they are not cropping. (Maybe they want to blow up to 24" x 36", maybe they just like to zoom in and gaze lovingly at the pixels). And I guess on a crop body, 35mm isn't that wide (are you buying for APS-C or FF?)

Okay... I feel like I just babbled. Hopefully my babbling was of some use

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

The 35 is very, very sharp and for a wide angle the bokeh is very smooth and dreamy. I've seen people comment that the bokeh is "nervous" looking, I think they may be comparing it to a telephoto which isn't a fair comparison. For a wide it is as good as you can get IMO.

The 35 is a great compliment to my 85 1.2. The images have a consistent look between them, I definitely can not say the same for the 50 1.4. I try to use those 2 lenses when ever possible. The images just look so much better than any zoom I have ever owned.

Thank you for your response, Keith. It has been very helpful!

As far as the 35 getting an update; I personally don't expect it this year.

I was wondering about this and was planning to hold off anyway just to see what Canon does come out with later this year but if they do improve on this one, it will probably shoot it out of my price range.

I have always been curious to the neglect this lens gets on this site. Bryan only has it in a couple recommended lists and they are low on them.

That was one of the main reasons why I posted this. I was curious why there hasn't been too much hype about it on this site.

Thanks again!

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

Are you asking if 35mm and f/1.4 is worth the money, or whether, assuming you want a 35mm f/1.4 lens, Canon's 35mm f/1.4 L is a good one?

I was asking about the Canon 35mm f/1.4 L lens specifically.

And I guess on a crop body, 35mm isn't that wide (are you buying for APS-C or FF?)

I'd be using it with my 7d and probably won't go FF for many years yet.

Hopefully my babbling was of some use

For general purposes, yes it was & I very much appreciate your insight! []

Denise

And I guess on a crop body, 35mm isn't that wide (are you buying for APS-C or FF?)
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

A 35mm on a crop body is a good standard (56mm equivalent). If you like a 50mm on a FF you will like a 35mm on a crop frame.

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb

A 35mm on a crop body is a good standard (56mm equivalent). If you like a 50mm on a FF you will like a 35mm on a crop frame.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply! I do know what a 35mm will get me in general. I have two zooms that cover it. I was really looking for feedback on this lens. I was wondering about IQ, bokeh, any AF issues, speed, accuracy ...anything at all favorable or unfavorable. I was going to get the 85mm f/1.2 L II but I don't think I would be happy with the size &amp; weight of it. I like the size and weight ofthis oneand all reviews I've read elsewhere are very positive but I always like to hear what others on this site think. I've never been steered wrong yet!

Denise

Thanks for the reply! I do know what a 35mm will get me in general. I have two zooms that cover it. I was really looking for feedback on this lens. I was wondering about IQ, bokeh, any AF issues, speed, accuracy ...anything at all favorable or unfavorable. I was going to get the 85mm f/1.2 L II but I don't think I would be happy with the size &amp; weight of it. I like the size and weight ofthis oneand all reviews I've read elsewhere are very positive but I always like to hear what others on this site think. I've never been steered wrong yet!

The 35L has great IQ, great bokeh, great AF. No issues to speak of.

However, I don't understand your logic. You think an 85L is too big so you go for a 35L? Were both lenses on your original wishlist, or are you buying the 35L instead? Keith uses them to complement each other and they are very different lenses. If it's bokeh you're looking for, you can't beat the 85L. The 85L may be heavy but it's compact and I don't think you'll have a problem with it. Anyway, If 35mm is a focal length you want the 35L is the ultimate way to cover it. No issues that I know of.

brendan