Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Canon 35mm f/1.4 L - UPDATE: I LOVE THIS LENS!

Re: Canon 35mm f/1.4 L

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    For any of you that have used it, what is your opinion of it?

I love it. Wide angle of view and thin DOF. I hope Canon will update it like they did the 24mm.

<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="content-type" />

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    Is it worth the $?

If you take advantage of it's strengths (wide apertures on full frame), it's definitely worth it. But if you only need something to shoot f/11, then the 35mm f/2 might be a better choice.

Well, a month later I finally decided to order the 35mm f/1.4 L and should have it Friday! []
    Thanks much to everyone that offered advice ...extremely appreciated!

Denise

Congrats, Denise. Post pics when you get a chance.

*EDIT* Oh wow, I should have read the thread before as well. haha. Congrats on getting it! *

Holy crap how have I not posted in here yet?! From personal experience, the 35L is hands down my favorite lens ever. I'd take it over a L-zoom, that's how much I like it. I highly recommend this lens over all primes; excluding the 85L, of course.

As with any wide-aperture lens, CA wide open can be a bit of a problem if you are shooting JPEG and can't correct it later on in post. Other than that I have no complaints what so ever about this lens. If it appears soft you either got bad focus or a bad copy, I got nothing but spot on, tack sharp photos wide open on a Rebel XT.

I don't actually own it yet, but I've rented it twice and plan on doing again next week(can't wait to see it on my 7D). Here's my favorite picture taken with it so far.

Canon Rebel XT + Canon 35mm f/1.4L @ 1.4

(Please tell me if the color tint looks a bit strange for this photo, I'm using two monitors and on one there is a blue-ish tint to the photo while the other looks perfect)

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett-Grimsley

*EDIT* Oh wow, I should have read the thread before as well. haha. Congrats on getting it! *

Holy crap how have I not posted in here yet?!

If you would have posted sooner, this would make the 2nd lens you personally talked me into! [:P] Actually, I had a tough time deciding between this and the 85L but I just could not talk myself into spending quite that much on one lens &amp; I am still very happy with 85 I have (first lens you convinced me to buy)!

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett-Grimsley

(Please tell me if the color tint looks a bit strange for this photo, I'm using two monitors and on one there is a blue-ish tint to the photo while the other looks perfect)

The color looks fine on my screen and hopefully I get as good a copy as you did! We will see ...I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL FRIDAY! I should of paid the extra $ to get it sooner!

Thanks for the info, Garrett!

Denise

After an hour or so with the 50L I am really appreciating the 35L even more. It's a little early yet but I'm not enthused about the 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

After an hour or so with the 50L I am really appreciating the 35L even more. It's a little early yet but I'm not enthused about the 50.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Congrats on your new lens, Keith! Definitely give it more time and don't compare it so much to the 35 L, it has it's own advantages in its own right!

I debated on the 35L, 50L and 85L for the longest time! You really helped with my decision on the getting the 35L and I thank you! I read NUMEROUS reviews and it always was highly regarded plus it kept a few extra $ in my pocket!Now I'm debating whetherwhich filter to get (UV, ND or Pol)ordered tonight...or get a step-up ring. Decisions, decisions!! [:P]

Denise

Just my 2 cents here Denise. I think it's a fabulous lens. I personally have never shot with it, but I've been watching and thumbing through Pete Souza's photos (Official White House Photographer) and the 3 lenses he uses the most are the 35mm 1.4, 135mm 2.0 and the 24-70mm 2.8. His 35mm shots are fantastic. And shot on a 5D. Take a look! They're on flickr.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikehillman89

Just my 2 cents here Denise. I think it's a fabulous lens. I personally have never shot with it, but I've been watching and thumbing through Pete Souza's photos (Official White House Photographer) and the 3 lenses he uses the most are the 35mm 1.4, 135mm 2.0 and the 24-70mm 2.8. His 35mm shots are fantastic. And shot on a 5D. Take a look! They're on flickr.

Mike
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Thanks, Mike ...I defintely will! I always wondered what some of those photographers use!

Denise

No problem Denise!

Here's the link to the photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whitehouse/ It's pretty easy to tell what's a 35 but you can still check on the more properties if you aren't entirely sure

Have fun!

Mike