Thread: Canon 35mm f/1.4 L - UPDATE: I LOVE THIS LENS!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Canon 35mm f/1.4 L

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb

A 35mm on a crop body is a good standard (56mm equivalent). If you like a 50mm on a FF you will like a 35mm on a crop frame.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply! I do know what a 35mm will get me in general. I have two zooms that cover it. I was really looking for feedback on this lens. I was wondering about IQ, bokeh, any AF issues, speed, accuracy ...anything at all favorable or unfavorable. I was going to get the 85mm f/1.2 L II but I don't think I would be happy with the size & weight of it. I like the size and weight ofthis oneand all reviews I've read elsewhere are very positive but I always like to hear what others on this site think. I've never been steered wrong yet!

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    Thanks for the reply! I do know what a 35mm will get me in general. I have two zooms that cover it. I was really looking for feedback on this lens. I was wondering about IQ, bokeh, any AF issues, speed, accuracy ...anything at all favorable or unfavorable. I was going to get the 85mm f/1.2 L II but I don't think I would be happy with the size & weight of it. I like the size and weight ofthis oneand all reviews I've read elsewhere are very positive but I always like to hear what others on this site think. I've never been steered wrong yet!

The 35L has great IQ, great bokeh, great AF. No issues to speak of.

However, I don't understand your logic. You think an 85L is too big so you go for a 35L? Were both lenses on your original wishlist, or are you buying the 35L instead? Keith uses them to complement each other and they are very different lenses. If it's bokeh you're looking for, you can't beat the 85L. The 85L may be heavy but it's compact and I don't think you'll have a problem with it. Anyway, If 35mm is a focal length you want the 35L is the ultimate way to cover it. No issues that I know of.

brendan

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan7
    However, I don't understand your logic. You think an 85L is too big so you go for a 35L?

Uh, yeah! I'm sorry, I was talking the 85mm f/1.2 L II. I am sure you have rented itso you are aware that it not onlyheavierbut larger. Not to mention the price tag. Plus I am quite happy for nowwith the 85mm that I have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan7
    Were both lenses on your original wishlist, or are you buying the 35L instead?
    Yes, both are on my list. The 85mm L II has now been moved down a number of notches if I do get it at all. I think after I buy a couple others that I also have my eye on, I will be pretty well set. All depends on what Canon comes out with this year yet.