Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 7D can Catch a Bullet

Re: 7D can Catch a Bullet

Don't forget the angle of the dangle this shot was taken at. Your 2.1 inches will look shorter from the angle that the 7D was placed at for the shot.

I think you did the math pretty well......assuming the correct bullet velocity (which can vary alot depending on the particular ammo)

1350 ft/secX0.000125 sec= 0.16875 ft

0.16875ft X 12 in/ft = 2.025 inches

It will certainly look like a streak butyou might have been lucky and got the timing right....in the second shot you can see the slide on the gun has started backwards and there are exhaust gasses visible so the bullet has definitely left the barrel....so maybe it is the bullet but.....

Also the shutter lag has to be considered which is in the range of 0.05 to 0.080 sec. So... to get it right without a trigger and mulit-flash set up is a bit lucky. The bullet could move60 to100 feet between the time you push the button and the picture is taken!

If you try again, attempt to get the sun angle on the bullet and look for a featureless background so it might stand out better.

Joel

PS.....here's a way tophotograph a bullet everytime.......

http://www.highspeedflash.com/flashultra.cfm

Just a bit pricey though!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade

PS.....here's a way tophotograph a bullet everytime.......

[url="http://www.highspeedflash.com/flashultra.cfm]http://www.highspeedflash.com/flashultra.cfm[/url]

Just a bit pricey though!!!
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Too pricey for my needs--this was just one of those "let's see if we can moments", but not an obsession I am willin to spend high dollar on.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade
    I think you did the math pretty well

Thanks for the back up Joel, and your right with a little angle change I might be able to do better---I'll have another chance on thursday---we will see then if a few adjustments helps.

Thanks
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by TucsonTRD

Looks like a UFO to me.

Nice photo and timing.

Thanks Tuc, at least it looks like something[^o)]
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky

Cool shots Bob!

Perhaps it's an idea to shoot some video with high shutterspeeds? And then do some print-screening [img]/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]Dunno, but it might work...

Have fun out there!

Good Idea Jan, I think I will try a dual setup next time --one video and on still camera.
    Bob

You'll never see it in video. A sound trigger is probably available as a cheap kit if you don't mind a little iron work.

Quote Originally Posted by Shea Design
    You'll never see it in video

Can you tell me why?

If your camera films at 24/25 or even 60 fps with a shutterspeed of 1/8000th you must at least have an opportunity to take out one of the frames as a still? Alright your photo will only be 1920*1080 or 1280*720 pixels, but in my eyes it should be do-able right? Or am I looking the wrong way?

I was visiting my brother-in-law over the 4th and he is an avid clay target shooter. Although a shotgun shoots a group of small pellets the velocity is similar to a 9 mm pistol bullet.....by shooting a bunch of frames I was clearly able to get a couple of pics where the "projectile" is clearly visible. So...it can be done with a han held camera and no elaborate flash setup....these were taken with my 1D MKIII and the EF 28-135mm 3.5 "kit lens" that came with my 40D. Shutter speed was 1/2000 ISO 640 f/5.0. Manual flash with a 430 ex at 1/8 power just for shadow fill. I have outlined the shotgun pellets in flight.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.32.28/343V9923.jpg[/img][img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.32.28/343V9953.jpg[/img]