Thread: International travelI

International travelI

I am going to travel to Ireland for vacation.

Does anyone know if I need to buy special adaptors to keep my camera charged.

Any suggestions on things that I need or don't need.

I am going to carry on my equipment.

I thought about getting a 28-300 for a 'travel lens' but I will want to blow up a few of my better photos. Is that lens good quality or should I travel with my 70-200 and 24-70.

Do you think I should bring one 580EXII?

Do you think I need a small travel monopod?

Anyone have experience with the lightweight tripods?

I will be shooting the country side but I am sure I will find some nice places to do inside photography. (50 1.4?)

Wow my bag is already full.

Anyone have experience with these hards drives that you download CF to on the fly(some with picture viewers)

I dont want to bring my lap top.

Should I just buy a ton of memory?

Suggestions appreciated.

Re: International travelI

Quote Originally Posted by iND
    hards drives that you download CF to on the fly(some with picture viewers)

Yup they work great. I've used a colorspace UDMA. Its not huge but its not tiny either. I would probably just buy a ton of memory if you don't need to review the pics. I have a 320 gig hard drive and thats good for ~12,000 photos. The battery in it is pretty amazing.

Traveling with a tripod is no fun and I rarely use it on trips but that being said I've gotten some great shots when I did bring it along. I wouldn't use anything too light as it won't work very well. Unless your using a 400 2.8, 600 /4, or a 800 f/5.6 then I really don't think your going to need a monopod.

inside photography. (50 1.4?)

its a small and light lens, I've used it a lot while traveling and always bring it along.

special adaptors to keep my camera charged.

yes your going to need an adapter just go to your local travel store and they'll help you out.

580EXII?

I've brought it on a few trips and hardly used it.

I thought about getting a 28-300 for a 'travel lens' but I will want to blow up a few of my better photos. Is that lens good quality or should I travel with my 70-200 and 24-70.

I would bring the 24-70 and the 70-200. Although, you can get great pics out of the 28-300 just use f/11 when you can (this is where the tripod comes in).

Cool! Ireland is number 1 on my to go list...

I'm not entirely sure, but in the Netherlands we have 230V standard and it's around that value in more European countries, so you'll definitely need an adaptor of some kind.

Any suggestions on things that I need or don't need.

What camera do you take?

Nah the 24-70 and 70-200 will do great. I just came from a road trip with only a 24-105 and 5D2 and it was a perfect set. Make sure you've got some wide-angle. So if you're bringing a crop-camera a 24mm max isn't my favourite...28mm is even worse..

Depends on how long you're going and what type of photos you think you will make. If you go from place to place you probably don't have a lot of time to plan a shoot. Same counts for the tripod. You're probably good without it, unless you stay a few days at a particular location and you can come back with a tripod or flash later to do a shot again.

In summer with a 200mm max...nah you'll be fine without one I guess, but I don't really know your style...

Yup, I got mine for free with a magazine...it works like a charm, since it's light enough to carry aroung whole day and it can actuallt carry my stuff when I need it. Of course handling isn't like the expensive ones, but it works for the few times...

I've got a Redget RTT-423 aluminum tripod with a Redget RT-1 ballhead... I have no experience with a carbon tripod or something, but it might work as well. At least if it isn't too big to carry around. You must have the idea that you can move and take photographs with it on your back and still feeling comfortable.

I will be shooting the country side but I am sure I will find some nice places to do inside photography. (50 1.4?)

Sounds pretty good, small and usable.

Wow my bag is already full.

Don't get it too full, it will lessen your ability to move for longer times and further destinations. When you're going out you also need to take food, extra clothes perhaps etc etc...

Anyone have experience with these hards drives that you download CF to on the fly(some with picture viewers)

Nope, but I have heard great stories. Still you've got to make sure that you at least do a quick sort before you put em up there. Else it will be full before you know it. You have to make sure you don't have a lack of memory during a trip.

Should I just buy a ton of memory?

So yea...or see if a portable harddrive fits your needs.

Have fun!

Jan

One thing to consider in your choices - is photography a primary goal for your trip? If so, take the gear you'll need - which will most likely include multiple lenses and a tripod.

You need to buy a plug adapter that will allow you to connect your adapter to the outlets in Ireland. You don't need (and shouldn't use) a voltage converter - the charger that came with your camera runs on 100-240 V 50/60 Hz, so you just need the prongs to fit.

24-70mm + 70-200mm, IMO. The 28-300mm is a beast, and an 11x zoom range means too much compromise on IQ.

Yes, especially for the indoor shots.

Depends on what you mean by 'lightweight' - I use a 4-section Manfrotto CF, which is pretty light (4.5 lbs with the 488RC2 ballhead), and provides good support for up to a 100-400mm on a gripped 7D. But although it's relatively light, it's still around 24" long when collapsed so it's not very portable. It does fit in a carry-on, though (which is why I went with four sections instead of three). If you have the room and will be willing to carry it around the countryside, bring it. Landscape/countryside/castles will usually be shot with narrow apertures for more DoF, and combined with the frequent cloud cover (or if you're shooting at sunrise/sunset which is best), that means long exposures - you'll want the tripod!

Have a great time!