Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nikon reviews?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Nikon reviews?

Quote Originally Posted by wickerprints
    I would hate to be a Nikon shooter if most of my images were taken at f/2.8 or faster.

What's the point in fast glass if it has to be stopped down to be sharp?
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Quote Originally Posted by wickerprints

Regarding the last point specifically, we see that there are no Nikon offerings comparable to the following Canon designs:
    • EF 35/1.4L USM
    • EF 50/1.2L USM
    • EF 85/1.2L II USM
    • EF 135/2L USM
    • EF 400/5.6L USM
    • EF 800/5.6L IS USM

Indeed, I feel like the absence of these designs in the Nikon lineup is a significant disadvantage with respect to prime lens photography. The one caveat I must point out is that the Nikon 50/1.4D AF is a superior lens to the EF 50/1.2L and EF 50/1.4 in terms of overall sharpness. If anything, I would say that the existence of certain zooms (14-24/2.8, 200-400/4 VR) with no Canon counterpart means Nikon would be a better choice for zoom shooters--the exact opposite conclusion.

Truly, it can't be denied that Nikon's relatively late adoption of ultrasonic motor technology and the unwillingness to migrate to an all-electronic mount has hampered their lens development in the long run. Canon users paid the price of the FD to EF mount transition, but the technological rewards are huge. Canon was first with USM, IS, EMD, and we have AF f/1.2 designs. We even had the EF 50/1.0L USM back in 1989. More than twenty years later and with the benefit of improved production techniques, I am hoping that Canon might see fit to refresh and reintroduce this design.

....I would hate to be a Nikon shooter if most of my images were taken at f/2.8 or faster.

I don't know if this is for certain but I have read that the Nikon mount is too small to achieve apertures larger than 1.4 where the EF mount will allow for 1.2 or even 1.0 in certain ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

I commented earlier on this, but I am really surprised at the ISO Charts.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I have seen this comment but not much discussion. When I look at the ISO charts I can not believe Nikon is that bad. What am I missing?

Are my eyes so canon biased that I see purple in most of the Nikon ISO charts?

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb

Are my eyes so canon biased that I see purple in most of the Nikon ISO charts?

Mark

No... I see it too. I was really kind of wondering the same thing, myself. Not all of the nikon lenses' ISO-charts have that. So, I don't really know what the deal is.

Dave.
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky
    If anyone posts a photo shot with a Nikon I will say it's bad!

This made me giggle.... thanks... I wasn't having a terrific day, and it helped.
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

<div>

Quote Originally Posted by malfunctions
    Better still, when I am clearly a canon user, a delighted nikon person will come up to me every now and again and ask for me to photograph them using their gear....

You know you can get banned from this forum for these kind of actions, don't you?

It helps to now how to turn a nikon on and focus!
    <div>

They make their geir hard to use so it seems like proper and professional gear, but the truth is...
    </div>

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Johnston
    </div>

If anyone posts a photo shot with a Nikon I will say it's bad!

This made me giggle.... thanks... I wasn't having a terrific day, and it helped.

Haha great! I'm not having the best week of my life either, I saw the opportunity to fool around a little and I really couldn't resist to do it []

About 1,5 week ago my swimming-trainer asked me what was wrong with his photos. His photos were looking dull and without contrast. I asked what camera he used and he said: D200 and D50, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-f4 and Nikkor 70-200 something something. So I said: No wonder: trade all your gear for Canon gear and your problem is solved... He was looking like..."are you serious???"

Haha of course I wasn't serious, but I can still remember his face and it makes me smile again when I think of it! []

Eventually the problem was his lens...after upgrading to a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 his photos improved drastically, but I must say it was quite some work to get used to all the Nikon abbreviations and operations. The AF motor is different etc...

Anyway I wouldn't mind having a Nikon if it was giving me the same results or better than my 5D2 and lenses do. And I also have a Sigma lens so I guess I'm not a total Canon-freak either [:P]

Better still, when I am clearly a canon user, a delighted nikon person will come up to me every now and again and ask for me to photograph them using their gear....

You know you can get banned from this forum for these kind of actions, don't you?

I was in antelope canyon and there was someone with the whole hasselblad digital set up and massive tripod. I wasn't asked to take their photo. Maybe the hasselblad club has stricter rules! Always interesting though to talk and to learn.