Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nikon reviews?

Re: Nikon reviews?

Awesome. That must have been a ton of work. Cool to be able to compare, say, Nikon's 135 f/2 to Canon's (though, of course, we necessarily get different resolutions, still...)

Do you not find this statement a bit odd: "Even though I have all of the Nikon lenses and a pair of D3x bodies (all purchased retail - no assistance from Nikon - same as Canon) at my disposal, my personal preference remains Canon, and I will continue to make reviews of new Canon gear my top priority.

But, if I was forced to change brands"

Hahaha Change brands!!!! You already own all of it mate! No change there!

Quote Originally Posted by Jahled

Perhaps you have at last given up on the wait for Canon full-frame 1Ds, like I virtually have done. Still i'm stunned
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

What wait? Canon released the 1Ds in the spring of 2003. They're refreshed it twice since then. Another refresh is most likely due out soon, but so what? There are plenty of great cameras from Canon, as well as other brands.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Well, After reading all of this, I have come to the conclusion that this might be a mistake for Byan and TDP. I have enjoyed the civility of this forum for about two years now. Well, after reading this post, I guess civility has gone out the window. Though I would love to hear Bryan's comments and evaluations of Nikon gear, it isn't worth it to me to read through all of the immature, mindless rhetoric that goes with those otherwise insightful reviews.

One thing I did notice was that none of the "veteran" posters of this forum were rude or obnoxious---it seems to be only a couple of "newbies" that has brought this thread down to pathetic levels of posturing.

Bob
    Bob

I'll never be able to get the latest greatest body. So, for me this photography thing is all about glass and lights. I'll never change brands because I have too much invested in a hobby that, for me will likely never support itself. It's silly to argue about differences in bodies. If one isreally that much better the other will be force to capitulate. Now, if you want to fuss about Canon needing to come out with an answer to the [url="/Reviews/Nikon-200-400mm-f-4G-AF-S-VR-II-Lens-Review.aspx]Nikon 200-400mm f/4G AF-S VR II Lens [/url]I'd have to <span style="text-decoration: line-through;"]agree(Never mind just saw the price!)...

But, watch your tone (real orperceived) as we are a happy, civilized, friendly group here and don't want to loose that.
    T3i, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 L, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 430ex (x2), 580ex
    13.3" MacBook Pro (late '11 model) w/8GB Ram & 1TB HD, Aperture 3 & Photoshop Elements 9

Just for the record, I am not being antagonistic or argumentative! I am simply puzzled. My humble apologies if I seemed crass yesterday. I have actually had a personal replies from him to emails, so ultimately don't really doubt the guy; i'm just wondering what is the point for the reasons above.
    <div>
    </div>

Since it seems to be lost upon you, I feel it necessary to point out the specific behavior that left some people with a bad taste in their mouth. In particular:
    1. You are a new poster, with all or nearly all of your posts belonging to this thread, which you started.
    2. Your choice of thread title is vague and your initial post in this thread did not explain what your question was.
    3. Your subsequent posts were similarly short and failed to explain why you started the thread and what exactly you are seeking to communicate.

It is generally the case that the above points are associated with internet trolls or otherwise uncivil or inappropriate behavior. If you are sincere about your intent to contribute positively to this forum, I strongly suggest that in the future, you communicate clearly and effectively. I'm not saying you have to write a novel for each post, but five-word posts are, to put it bluntly, LAME and USELESS.

Could it really have been that difficult for you to simply write, "I noticed that this site plans/is planning to publish reviews of Nikon equipment. I am wondering whether this is a good idea. What are your thoughts?" You could probably even pare that down to "Nikon reviews: good idea? Your thoughts?" Six words, and I still managed to say more than "Am I missing something here?"

And for what it's worth there have been previous trolls and other arrogant/annoying jerks that have contaminated this forum, small as it may be. But because this place isn't POTN, FM, photo.net, DPR, or any of the other multitudes of giant forum sites, and caters specifically to Canon shooters, they don't last long around here.

*Sigh*

Guess i'll leave it then. I'm a bit old to waste my time being a 'troll,' and being branded one for quite a harmless question stretches my patience to be bothered to be honest. See ya []

This website already is viewed with deep suspicion by lots of people on the internet who simply can't except he is independent of Canon; and now he has revealed he owns a pair of D3 bodies and every Nikon lens on the page; how deep are his pockets and simply why?

Deep suspicion? I haven't run across that... But then, 'lots of people' wear tinfoil hats to prevent aliens or the government from leeching away their thoughts. I bet some of the foil hat wearers even surf the internet. [:P]

The depth of Bryan's pockets isn't really our business - except in that he is able to provide detailed reviews and testing of lots and lots of gear so we certainly benefit from that. In the interest of fairness, I should point out that you are inferring/assuming he owns the the Nikon gear. What he actually states in his news item is, "I frequently get asked questions about Nikon gear - and have friends who use Nikon....Even though I have all of the Nikon lenses and a pair of D3x bodies...at my disposal..." I have friends and colleagues who have gear that I don't have, and who would certainly lend that gear to me if I asked. So, in that sense I could consider Nikon gear, Olympus gear, and additional Canon gear to be 'at my disposal' (and all purchased retail - just not by me). So, maybe he owns them, maybe he doesn't, but regardless, it's irrelevant.

I'm a bit old to waste my time being a 'troll,' and being branded one for quite a harmless question stretches my patience

I don't think this is a trollish topic, but wickerprints nailed it with point #2 - "Your choice of thread title is vague and your initial post in this thread did not explain what your question was." I, too, was confused by that, and your second post seemed like a complete non-sequiteur, especially since the 1Ds is now on it's 3rd version. Reading several posts down the thread as others tried to clarify did not really clear anything up. Frankly, it was muddied further by Mark (clemmb) posting a screenshot of this very thread with the title highlighted - that bit of circular logic left me still thinking that the only reference to Nikon reviews on this site was yourambiguous posting, until like peety3, I did a little digging.

Commenting further on the issue of Nikon reviews here, I've got conflicting views on that. Bryan's reasons as he stated them make sense, certainly, and I'm always in favor of objective testing and reliable subjective interpretations of quality. Additional revenues for the site will also be a benefit to everyone. I'm glad he's committed to prioritizing Canon reviews, though. I can see a potential downside to people who benefit from his reviews of Tamron/Sigma/etc. lenses, as his priority order may be Canon &gt; Nikon &gt; 3rd party.

I share Bob's concern about the potential for rancor here, and I hope we can avoid that. Ultimately the tone of these forums is up to us - all of us. We could go toe-to-toe and try bashing each other over the heads with EF 600mm f/4L IS USM vs.600mm f/4G ED AF-S VR lenses(and thanks to the new specification comparisons, we know that Canon's 600mm lens is bigger and heavier)...but, let's not.

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]I agree, wow, the enormous amount of work it must have taken to get all the Nikkor/Nikon Specifications, Vignetting and ICO Crops on here is very much appreciated Bryan. This is just such a valuable resource to all of us that take Photography seriously. While I am a Canon only user, so many of my friends use Nikon and look to me for advice on their lens&rsquo;s which I have been uncomfortable to give <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]because there has been no consistency in any of the other Nikon review sites.
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]This has now changed and I look forward to recommending your site to all my Nikon user friends.
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]Thank you Bryan!

I love having the Nikon information, this is great!