Thread: What is the best monitor to use to view back photos take.

What is the best monitor to use to view back photos take.

<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 9pt;"]I got the 7d this year and are having issues viewing the pictures, I havedual monitors connected to my computer, one is an older HP 22" and the a Dell 24" led, As hard as I tried tweak themthey are totally different in every way, One is two bright the other is softer with warmer colors, how do you know which is correct, is there a standard that photographers use. <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]Appreciate any input. <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]<o></o>

Re: What is the best monitor to use to view back photos take.

Sounds like you need some better calibration software.

As far as a standard these are the best monitors out there:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=eizo&amp;N=4291465174

Crosby can I borrow the $2500.00 it would take to buy one of those????

My school has them so you'd have to ask them.

Color managementis a topic that can get complicated. There are also members here that are more knowledgeable than me, but I want to try and help. It really is a vital part of controlling your images. IMHO...

It sounds like calibration software/hardware would solve much of your dilemma. Are you currently using anything to calibrate the monitors? The calibration process would first test the performance of your monitor(s) using a colorimeter (a sensor that hangs over the monitor and compares the display to standards of color temperature, gamma, brightness, color casts etc.). It will then create a profile that describes the way your monitor displays color. That profile will then be used by all color managed programs like photoshop to interpret the image's raw data, compensate for your monitor's tested performance, and renderwhat you see to be as accurate as possible. In a nutshell.

It makes a world of difference and you will recognize the improvement immediately.

Purchasing a high-end monitor (although your Dell LED may be a very good model) may not be completely necessary. In most cases, having your monitor calibrated will be all you need. Monitors like those fromEizo, Lacie and others are fantastic if yourequire the best, but their advantage maybe unnecessary if you don't already feel the need. Theycover a larger% of the color gamut inspaces like sRGB/AdobeRGB, have improved contrast ratios, etc. as well as more extensive ability to customize performace. I have a Lacie 324 and if you are looking to upgrade I would highly recommend it. At ~$1k it isn't cheap, but it also isn't as expensive as the Eizo's that perform ~similar. Check their specs to compare.

But again, you'll need to use a calibration tool even with the high-end monitors. I first used Spyder3 Elite, which is a popular choice and highly recommended. I now use Lacie's Blye Eye Pro with my Lacie 324. Others from X-rite, Pantone, etc. are also solid choices. Here's B&amp;H options: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=12000&amp;N=4294542193

Hope that's helpful.

Thanks for the advise,

I just purchased the HP ZR30W, even my old pictures look great, the resolution on this monitor is off the charts 2560 x 1600,