Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Refurbished Equipment

Refurbished Equipment

Hi All -

Have you purchased anything refurbished? If so, from where & was it "As Good As New"? If it wasn't, were you well taken care of thru their Customer Support & Service Dept?

I am just wondering if one place is better than another to buy refurished from. I wouldn't mind saving $100+ hereor there, but wonder if it's worth it in the end.

Denise

Re: Refurbished Equipment

Denise --

I picked up a refurbished Canon EF 17-40 F4.0 L lens from Adorama two years ago for $550 (at-the-time list was $750) and couldn't see any difference from a new lens -- other than the 'refurbished' sticker on the real lens cap. It works perfectly -- and I'll continue to scan the refurbished list from now on (even though I can't afford anything right now!). Go for it is you see something you want.

Dave

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"]</input><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

Adorama recently amended their Refurbished products to include a year warranty (instead of the previous 90 day warranty). In my opinion, you simply can't go wrong. Look at it this way--a refurbished item has actually been handled by a service rep. If you buy a new product, only asmall samplewithin an entire batch get thoroughly checked. If there was something wrong with the refurbished item, it's already been tended to. What are the chances that there are being two issues with the same item?

I've purchased (I believe) two items from Adorama's refurbished inventory...and they've worked just fine.

What Sean said, only I have bought three items. I had a problem with one at month ten and followed their RMA instructions and had full refund in a week -- item was not in stock or expected to be in soon, therefore refund VS. replacement. I was happy and would buy again without hesitation from their refurb gear. I am currently looking at a Rebel series for my son.

Chris

Only caveat is to make sure you're actually getting a deal on the refurb. As I pointed out in Denise's thread on the 35L, Adorama's price on the refurb is the same as the price of a new copy from J&amp;R (a reputable online electronics dealer). Likewise, Adorama's current list has a refurbished EF 85mm f/1.2L II that is actually a buck more expensive than a new copy of the same lens also from Adorama (because of the current instant rebate on that lens).

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

Only caveat is to make sure you're actually getting a deal on the refurb. As I pointed out in Denise's thread on the 35L, Adorama's price on the refurb is the same as the price of a new copy from J&amp;R (a reputable online electronics dealer). Likewise, Adorama's current list has a refurbished EF 85mm f/1.2L II that is actually a buck more expensive than a new copy of the same lens also from Adorama (because of the current instant rebate on that lens).
    <p style="CLEAR: both"]

Good point, John! There is another I am looking at that is only $130 less than new which isn't a real lot, that is why I hesitate. Yet, it is a $130 savings ...which would cover the dollars spent on a filter, etc.

I recently bought a 17-55 f2.8 refurb from Adorama for $900 and it looked completely brand new with no scratches or any signs of wear. The only thing I saw were maybe 3-4 specks of dust inside the lens that I did not consider a major issue as it wouldn't show up in the images. (I suspected this may have been the reason for the return if it were returned). It came in a canon factory sealed white box and it's been working like charm.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

Adorama recently amended their Refurbished products to include a year warranty (instead of the previous 90 day warranty). In my opinion, you simply can't go wrong. Look at it this way--a refurbished item has actually been handled by a service rep. If you buy a new product, only asmall samplewithin an entire batch get thoroughly checked. If there was something wrong with the refurbished item, it's already been tended to. What are the chances that there are being two issues with the same item?

That's true, Sean. The warranty extension has definitely made this more appealing. I have bought used from private parties but I guess I felt better about it knowing alittle more history/background of the lens and why it was being sold.

It looks like Adorama gets rave reviews so far from everyone here for buying refurbished!

Denise

I've ordered a T1i+kit refurb, and a 24-105mm refurb from Adorama. They looked like new. Boxes, manuals, lens hood/pouch for the L lens, strap, software, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters
    Adorama recently amended their Refurbished products to include a year warranty

But that's not all... If you order now*, Adorama will also handle return shipping on warranty repairs, even internationally (well, for Canada at least. I'm not sure they extend this to the world), as long as it's from wherever they originally shipped the lens.

* - or a later. I just felt like being in infomercial mode.

On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Well, this refurbished discussion finally pushed me over the edge. I've been avoiding the 17-55 f2.8 for years and I just broke down and ordered a refurbished one. Hopefully I will have a good experience to add to this thread in a week or so.