Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery grips

Battery grips

anyone have experience with the batter grips for 50D

Re: Battery grips

Quote Originally Posted by iND

anyone have experience with the batter grips for 50D
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Mine's always worked perfectly. In fact, the only battery grip I've ever had issue with was the one that came with my 7D (it has a very sensitive shutter release and is easy to press by accident).

I have the BG-E2N and have been happy with it right out of the box. I like the feel of it and the balance it adds particularly with my 70-200 2.8 IS.

I don't know about the 50D, but the 5DII is a beast to handle, especially when trying to shoot vertical. I don't really know how big the 50D is, but the grip is definitely helpful for me. A slight (hardlynoticeable) bit more weight in exchange for greatly increasedhold-abilitywas totally worth it.

I picked up a Zeikos grip for about 1/3 the price of the canon version and it has been working great thus far. Some reviews complained that it cause the camera to malfunction, but once it was removed, everything worked fine again, so I figured I'd take the risk and save a pretty penny. Glad I did.
    <div></div>

I recently bought a 50D and am using the BG I originally bought for my 20D on the new body. The early version still works perfectly and since I take a lot of vertical shots provides good balance and shutter release versatility to my heavier lenses. Also useful as a battery backup. In fact, as the 20D is now in its twilight years, the BG actuator works better then the 20D which is failing.... You can still strip the camera down tor reduce weight/size if you need to be less conspicuous....... good luck!

Never had a 50D. I have the BG-E7 for my 7D and it remains on the camera all the time. The grip makes the camera much easier to hold (even though the 7D isn't a small body), and provides better balance for most lenses that I use.

I also like that the grip enables me to use the E1 hand strap.

Quote Originally Posted by realityinabox
    I don't know about the 50D, but the 5DII is a beast to handle, especially when trying to shoot vertical. I don't really know how big the 50D is, but the grip is definitely helpful for me. A slight (hardlynoticeable) bit more weight in exchange for greatly increasedhold-abilitywas totally worth it.

The 50D is similarly sized to the 5D II. I purchased a 5D II earlier this month and to tell you how much I like the grip -- for the same reasons as reality -- I ordered it and the spare battery with the body.Since I shoot a lot with 2.8 lenses, another half-a-pound is not really noticeable to me and a good trade off for the better balanced feeling. Although Bryan mentions the versatility in being able to remove the grip to make a smaller lighter camera, I have never thought of doing that. I also enjoy the second battery, especially when using my 70-200 2.8 IS. It seems to be a little more resource demanding than my other glass, maybe larger, heavier moving parts? I can shoot all day with two fresh batteries VS. before I added the grip, I would need to make a battery change at some point during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    I also like that the grip enables me to use
    the E1 hand strap.

I love the E-1! I never attached either neck strap. I do not like them, it seems a lot more likely that I will drop something taking it on and off. In addition, I could not imagine all that weight hanging off my neck. I ordered the E-1 as part of the camera also.

Quote Originally Posted by realityinabox
    I picked up a Zeikos grip

I did go with the BG-E6 and LP-E6, but what can I say, I am an OEM kind of guy. That and the Canon versions for my 50D have served me (and continue to do so) very well.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris White
    I love the E-1! I never attached either neck strap. I do not like them, it seems a lot more likely that I will drop something taking it on and off. In addition, I could not imagine all that weight hanging off my neck.

I used the Canon neck strap until I got my EF70-200mm f/2.8<span style="color: red;"]LIS II and took it out the next day on a family outing. It took me about one minute to realize that wasn't going to work. I had carried previously carried my 100-400mm around for long walks, but the lens was always in my hand, and I used shorter/lighter lenses on family outings where I needed my hands free to grab my toddler. So, I got a BlackRapid strap (attaches to the tripod mount), which is a great way to carry the camera (with a long or short lens), since it rests down at your hip/lower back yet it's easy to grab the camera and raise it for a shot. It's also very easy to remove and replace, so around the house I just leave the BlackRapid strap off.

The hand strap is a great addition to the kit - I got it last week, and so far it's been ergonomically beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris White
    .Since I shoot a lot with 2.8 lenses, another half-a-pound is not really noticeable to me and a good trade off for the better balanced feeling.

I should mention that I'm in the same boat. Between the 5DII and the 24-70L, my camera is already a beast to carry, so the extra half pound is totally worth it to "get a grip" on all that weight. I don't even have a spare battery yet, maybe if I start shooting more video or weddings, right now I can get 1200+ shots on one charge, so the grip is strictly for ergonomics.

I had a Rebel XT before the 5DII, so that thing was easy enough to handle w/o one, but I think that with any of the bigger, heavier cameras, the grip is a must.

Just my 2 cents but I don't like the battery grips Canon makes. For me they completely ruin the best feature of the non-pro bodies, namely their relatively small size.

The grips look goofy to me..so big and bulky, they're obviously an afterthought to the body design, they scream "add-on" from every angle. I like longer battery life as much as the next guy but turning my camera into a 2-piece, 1-series wannabe... [:P]

I wish Canon would design an attachment that adds theportrait button functionality without the
    cumbersome battery holder
    . That would be a great tool. Add a 1/2" in height instead of 2, weigh the
    same as a battery instead of a pound (with 2 batteries the BG-E4 weighs 13.2oz) and give you a portrait release and a back-focus button. Make it compatible with the AC adapters so I don't have to remove it whenever I want to use AC power. And please lose the silly separate on/off switch. (talk about goofy...!)

I'm glad everyone else loves
    it. But to me the crop-sensor bodies and the 5D lines are so good because they deliver
    images on par with the pro bodies without being big, heavy pro bodies. I'll be keeping mine - 90% of the time - as nature intended... []