Thread: Baseball Shots

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Baseball Shots

I'm really interested in capturing kids sports. Here's my first try at baseball. Thoughts/Suggestions?

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.45.12/Bat1.JPG[/img][img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.45.12/Nat2.JPG[/img][img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.45.12/Pitch4.JPG[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.45.12/Bat2.JPG[/img][img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.45.12/Nat1.JPG[/img][img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.45.12/Pitch2.JPG[/img]

Re: Baseball Shots

Great shots!

One suggestion would be for shots like the slide-and-tag in the top middle, you might try moving closer to the fence (right up against it), and/or use a wider aperture to blur out the chain-link.

Hey John, thanks for the input. I moved around to several different positions just to see what I could capture. I moved behind the fence because it was at the end of a double header on a 95 degree day and after getting a little sunburned. [] I liked that shot other than the fence thing.

I wear a hat and a coating of SPF100 sunscreen... [H]

Quote Originally Posted by calulot
    I liked that shot other than the fence thing.

By using a longer focal length and a wide aperture (both result in a shallower DoF), you can (mostly) get rid of the 'fence thing'. Both of the birds below are injured and in the care of a local science museum - they are in enclosures with wire mesh in front (you can see the pattern of the mesh behind the bald eagle, and the ceiling over the red-shouldered hawk). In both cases, I got right up to the wire mesh with a long lens at a wide aperture, which effectively blurs out the wire in the foreground. Chain link is wider than the enclosure mesh - it may be that if you get right up to the fence, you can shoot right in between the links.

EOS 7D,EF 70-200mm f/2.8<span style="color: red;"]LIS II @ 200mm, f/2.8

WOW

Great pics! I also dabble in youth sports. Here are a few of my shots from my son's JV game.[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.00/Kyle-makes-the-play-at-first-base.JPG[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.00/Kyle-taking-ball-four.JPG[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.26.00/Bunt-Single.JPG[/img]

Forgot to mention that these were thru the fence as well. I moved right up to it and shot thru the open space with my XSi and a 50mm lens.

Quote Originally Posted by calulot

I'm really interested in capturing kids sports. Here's my first try at baseball. Thoughts/Suggestions?

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.45.12/Bat1.JPG[/img][img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.45.12/Nat2.JPG[/img][img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.45.12/Pitch4.JPG[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.45.12/Bat2.JPG[/img][img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.45.12/Nat1.JPG[/img][img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.45.12/Pitch2.JPG[/img]

Nice set of photos here. I like the last photo best. - Angelo
    Cheers!
    --
    AnGelo Chiu (MrGreenBug in Flickr), Blog: http://mrgreenbug.blogspot.com

My one little suggestion would be to get lower. It'll change your background significantly, often at least making it less distracting and likely creating more subject-background distance for separation. Take a look at the reviews here, under the tripod/etc. page, for the Walking Stool. I keep wanting to buy one myself, but wedding expenses keep delaying my WS purchase....
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.