Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: C & C Request: Portrait

Re: C & C Request: Portrait

I don't have the expertise that most of the others on this forum have. But my only critique would be that her hair and right eye should have a little separation. With her dark eyes and dark hair, they seem to blend together and it takes away slightly from her eyes (where the focus should be).

Quote Originally Posted by MrGreenBug

Maybe you got away with the bare speedlight because it was set at 1/64th? It looks like it blended in well with the ambient light to give the nice exposure [] Seeing that you have a reflector board, you could try bouncing some sunlight camera left so we can see more detail in her hair and maybe a little hint of highlight? The cutoff hat doesn't bother me at all. Between keeping the hat in and keeping the current composition, I would definitely choose this composition IMO. Nice shot!! []

<div>

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

I like the saturation of it now. Then again, I always keep my camera's picture style on "Faithful," which does produce a natural, less saturated image.

Thanks Sean for the additional info. I think I'm using a custom picture style. Gotta check again my settings...

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky

great shots, I like them. The photo you posted does seem to be a little back-focused, at least my eye tends to be going to the button and wrinkles on her right shoulder (left on photo). Perhaps it was AF centre point?

I don't really use flash, so I can't comment you on that, but it looks good to me.

Perhaps it will help, also maybe the white balance just a little bit warmer?

To be very honest I think some of the other photos might even be a little bit too saturated. But that could also be my personal preference.

Anyway, the girl looks happy to me, no fake smiles or something and I guess that's kind of a big[img]/emoticons/emotion-21.gif[/img]

Good luck with your assignments[img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]

Jan

Thanks Jan! I do believe that some of the other photos were a bit saturated or played too much with the white balance. It's the easiest portrait I did. She was very comfortable being in front of the camera and that really helped a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by calulot

Two great shots! However, I feel a little cheated in the first pic that the hat is out of frame. Maybe just my personal taste, but it's not something that you'd expect to see on a young person like that and just think it could have been an interesting focal point outside of that nice smile.

Thank you!!! [] When I get another chance, I'll try to explore your suggestion.
    <div>
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonTRD

I don't have the expertise that most of the others on this forum have. But my only critique would be that her hair and right eye should have a little separation. With her dark eyes and dark hair, they seem to blend together and it takes away slightly from her eyes (where the focus should be).
    </div>

Nice point! I guess that would help improve the image. I'll keep that in mind! Thank you, TucsonTRD!

Quote Originally Posted by TakahiroW4047

Maybe you got away with the bare speedlight because it was set at 1/64th? It looks like it blended in well with the ambient light to give the nice exposure [img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img] Seeing that you have a reflector board, you could try bouncing some sunlight camera left so we can see more detail in her hair and maybe a little hint of highlight? The cutoff hat doesn't bother me at all. Between keeping the hat in and keeping the current composition, I would definitely choose this composition IMO. Nice shot!! [img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]

</div>
    <div>
    </div>
    <div></div>
    <div>Oh yeah, I "got away with the bare speedlight". [] I'm loving the experimentation with this strobes! Nice suggestion on using another reflector for the hair to bring out some details. I guess that would have soften the harsh shadow as well casted by the collar. Another point to keep in mind. Thank you Takahiro for your input.</div>
    <div></div>
    <div>Thank you everyone for you C&amp;C's. You're all great! I'm learning a lot that's why I love TDP! []</div>
    Cheers!
    --
    AnGelo Chiu (MrGreenBug in Flickr), Blog: http://mrgreenbug.blogspot.com