Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C & C Request: Portrait

C & C Request: Portrait

I had this chance to do a portrait photo shoot on a garden and I was hoping to get some C&C's.

1000D + 50mm f/1.8 @ 50mm, f/2.0, 1/160 sec, ISO 100 + 580EX II bare on manual mode about 1/64 (I think) camera right triggered by Phottix Tetra PT-04 II

Thank you for viewing and for C&C's. More in here.
    Cheers!
    --
    AnGelo Chiu (MrGreenBug in Flickr), Blog: http://mrgreenbug.blogspot.com

Re: C & C Request: Portrait

I like the framing, compositon, and background (even though it's a little harsh because of the plastic wonder bokeh), and I'm quite surprised at how well bare flash turned out on this. Positioning lights when hats are involved can be challenging...and you pulled it off well. My only concern is that the eyes look a bit out of focus...I could be wrong, but I perceive some softnessin that area (a primary focal point)that takes away from the otherwise captivating portrait. Then again, maybe it's just this monitor...

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

I like the framing, compositon, and background (even though it's a little harsh because of the plastic wonder bokeh), and I'm quite surprised at how well bare flash turned out on this. Positioning lights when hats are involved can be challenging...and you pulled it off well. My only concern is that the eyes look a bit out of focus...I could be wrong, but I perceive some softnessin that area (a primary focal point)that takes away from the otherwise captivating portrait. Then again, maybe it's just this monitor...

Thank you Sean for your critique. I admire your portraits very much and you're my inspiration on this. Oh well, I can only settle for the nifty-fifty for now. [] Yes, I think the eyes are bit soft and maybe that's a result of shaky hands and the low angle shooting position. I have several photos from this session and this one is one of my favorites. []

About the bare flash.. I am quite surprised too with the result but we can see the sharp shadow cast made by the right collar. I guess it was beginner's luck.
    Cheers!
    --

Quote Originally Posted by MrGreenBug
    About the bare flash.. I am quite surprised too with the result but we can see the sharp shadow cast made by the right collar. I guess it was beginner's luck.

I noticed that shadow (and the one cast by her head), but it didn't bother me. :-)

I noticed that shadow (and the one cast by her head), but it didn't bother me. :-)

I was bit bothered by the shadow cast and so what I did was do some bounce flash just like the photo below, though this one's in a different pose.

1000D + 50mm f/1.8 @ 50mm, f/2.2, 1/200sec, ISO 100 + 580EX II bounced on a white board

Cheers!
    --

I was bit bothered by the shadow cast and so what I did was do some bounce flash just like the photo below, though this one's in a different pose.

1000D + 50mm f/1.8 @ 50mm, f/2.2, 1/200sec, ISO 100 + 580EX II bounced on a white board

Much softer image because of the larger light source. It isn't as "punchy" and it doesn't have any distracting elements. The eyes look sharp. I absolutely love the tilt of the hat (great compositional element). You've done an excellent job balancing the flash and the ambient. I like it very much...

Thanks again, Sean. Do you think a tad of saturation would help to get the punch? The hat had some sort of mind of it's own. [] Actually the hat didn't fit well on her head 'coz it was a bit small but I guess we managed to use it still. This is one pointer I should take note of.

You've done an excellent job balancing the flash and the ambient. I like it very much...

Thank you very much! I have been doing my assignments and homework on this! I'm really getting a hang of this stobism stuff. Enjoying the experimentation. [] You, The Strobist, and Neil VN are great sources.
    Cheers!
    --

Thanks again, Sean. Do you think a tad of saturation would help to get the punch? The hat had some sort of mind of it's own. [img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img] Actually the hat didn't fit well on her head 'coz it was a bit small but I guess we managed to use it still. This is one pointer I should take note of.

I like the saturation of it now. Then again, I always keep my camera's picture style on "Faithful," which does produce a natural, less saturated image.

Hey Angelo,

great shots, I like them. The photo you posted does seem to be a little back-focused, at least my eye tends to be going to the button and wrinkles on her right shoulder (left on photo). Perhaps it was AF centre point?

I don't really use flash, so I can't comment you on that, but it looks good to me.

Do you think a tad of saturation would help to get the punch?

Perhaps it will help, also maybe the white balance just a little bit warmer?

To be very honest I think some of the other photos might even be a little bit too saturated. But that could also be my personal preference.

Anyway, the girl looks happy to me, no fake smiles or something and I guess that's kind of a big [Y]

Good luck with your assignments []

Jan

Angelo,

Two great shots! However, I feel a little cheated in the first pic that the hat is out of frame. Maybe just my personal taste, but it's not something that you'd expect to see on a young person like that and just think it could have been an interesting focal point outside of that nice smile.