Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35

Thread: BYCS...also, SYSHTUYCS!

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,300

    Re: BYCS



    Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    Guess I'm lucky there, in two ways. First, my wife is a professor who's used to dealing with AV issues when going into a new lecture room.

    And she doesn't know how to change a lens?[:P]


    Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    Second, although she can deal with the tech stuff, she doesn't have a strong desire to do so - meaning although she'll use my gear if needed for a specific purpose, I don't have to share, or buy two of everything... [img]/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]

    Lucky you...now my girlfriend has bought a 450D kit, she wants to use all my stuff and expects me to learn her everything [:P] Unfortunately I'm not the best in teaching...my patience runs out very quickly [:P]


    Anyway that second shot is really nice! That 100-400 doesn't disappoint at all, or do you prefer your 70-200 with extender?

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    268

    Re: BYCS



    Yes John, lucky you! And lucky you too Jan!


    My girlfriend still doesn't understand why I even spend money on camera equipment let alone carry it wherever I go...


    Any suggestions? Oh, and I'm not allowed to take pictures of her unless I'm in them... grumble

  3. #13
    Senior Member neuroanatomist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    3,716

    Re: BYCS



    Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky
    Anyway that second shot is really nice! That 100-400 doesn't disappoint at all, or do you prefer your 70-200 with extender?

    Thanks, Jan! I wish he was perched on something more natural than a power line, though. Yes, I really like the 100-400mm lens, and generally use that more than the 70-200 II + 1.4x - that combo is great for rainy days, and when I need to take a more limited kit for most travel situations, I'll choose the 70-200 II + 1.4x over the 100-400mm, since the combo offers more versatility (low light performance, better OOF blur, etc.), and adequate reach.



    <div>


    Quote Originally Posted by mikehillman89
    My girlfriend still doesn't understand why I even spend money on camera equipment let alone carry it wherever I go... Any suggestions? Oh, and I'm not allowed to take pictures of her unless I'm in them

    Have a kid. [:P]


    Then, you'll have a good justification for all sorts of dSLR equipment (my wife was very frustrated by the slow AF of a P&amp;S - by the time it locked focus, the cute expression/action was inevitably over). Also, every mom will want pics of her with her child.


    So, having a kid will solve all your (photography-related) problems... [A]
    </div>



  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    268

    Re: BYCS



    Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    <div>


    Have a kid. [img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]

    Sounds good. I'll call her up right now. Oh, and I'll be sending you the care bills okay? []


    Any other less drastic suggestions? Haha
    </div>



  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,300

    Re: BYCS



    Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    I wish he was perched on something more natural than a power line, though.

    Well I guess it's just as natural as a piece of wood near a feeder? And these birds are kind of known for sitting on fencepoles, powerlines, near highways etc etc. There scavengers and pretty lazy most of times. If they don't need to hunt, they won't.


    Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    Yes, I really like the 100-400mm lens, and generally use that more than the 70-200 II + 1.4x - that combo is great for rainy days, and when I need to take a more limited kit for most travel situations, I'll choose the 70-200 II + 1.4x over the 100-400mm, since the combo offers more versatility (low light performance, better OOF blur, etc.), and adequate reach.

    Sounds fair to me. They should make a 100-400 L II with max aperture of f4 and with weather-sealing, that would be awesome!


    Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist


    Have a kid. [img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]


    Then, you'll have a good justification for all sorts of dSLR equipment (my wife was very frustrated by the slow AF of a P&amp;S - by the time it locked focus, the cute expression/action was inevitably over). Also, every mom will want pics of her with her child.


    So, having a kid will solve all your (photography-related) problems... [img]/emoticons/emotion-13.gif[/img]


    Hihi!! The best advice ever!![]


    If the 89 in his name relates to the year of his birth...it's kind of early I think, thinking that his girlfriend might be somewhat younger [:P]


    And getting a kid costs a lot of money so it might take a while before he can exploit the kid story and buy expensive gear []


    I would look for a different solution [:P]

  6. #16
    Senior Member neuroanatomist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    3,716

    Re: BYCS



    Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky
    I would look for a different solution

    Hey, I didn't say it was the only solution, or that it would solve all his problems without generating a whole host of new ones... [:P]


    I'm just sayin', is worked out that way for me. Of course, the other day my wife asked how much 'all that stuff' cost and I had to look a little sheepish as I told her, "Well, when you add it all up, notquite as much as your car..."

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,300

    Re: BYCS



    Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    Hey, I didn't say it was the only solution, or that it would solve all his problems without generating a whole host of new ones... [img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]

    Haha! I bet it would generate quite a few new ones [:P]


    Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    Of course, the other day my wife asked how much 'all that stuff' cost and I had to look a little sheepish as I told her, "Well, when you add it all up, notquite as much as your car..."

    Haha I know that feeling, when they ask me what it costs, I also like to say: the camera cost me .... euros and I don't mention the rest, since most of them don't even realize you buy them separately, they don't ask any further [:P]


    But yes, I also could have bought a car for all that money [] which makes more sense for people my age [A]

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    763

    Re: BYCS



    Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky
    Sounds fair to me. They should make a 100-400 L II with max aperture of f4 and with weather-sealing, that would be awesome!

    Pah! Who needs 100-400mm? I was thinking maybe a 16-740mm f/1.6L IS USM lens that weighs, say, 1.5 pounds. And 9-stop IS [:O][:P][]

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    268

    Re: BYCS



    Actually my girlfriend is 9mths older than me thank you very much haha.


    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan7


    Pah! Who needs 100-400mm? I was thinking maybe a 16-740mm f/1.6L IS USM lens that weighs, say, 1.5 pounds. And 9-stop IS [img]/emoticons/emotion-3.gif[/img][img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img][img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>


    You really want that lens don't you Brendan. Well what are you waiting for??? Hurry up and win the lottery and call up Canon!

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    2,300

    Re: BYCS



    Quote Originally Posted by mikehillman89
    Actually my girlfriend is 9mths older than me thank you very much haha.

    Well then I guess Johns solution doesn't sound that bad after all [A]


    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan7
    Pah! Who needs 100-400mm? I was thinking maybe a 16-740mm f/1.6L IS USM lens that weighs, say, 1.5 pounds. And 9-stop IS [img]/emoticons/emotion-3.gif[/img][img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img][img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]

    Interesting...what would you want to do with such a focal length? First off, I would want it to be wider so it's more logical on either a full-frame or a crop-sensor. I guess if we're busy after all we could make it quite a bit longer?


    Second, f1.6 sounds pretty cool! And very handy in low-light, but we could as well make it an f1 lens?


    Third: to achieve proper focus, there must be a minimal focus distance. If it would be bases on the longer focal lengths to focus it would probably have a longer than 10m minimum focus distance, which would screw up the shorter focal distances. I mean: what's the use of 16mm when the closest you can focus on is at 10m.


    If it was bases at the wide end of your lens it could have been like 0.25m? (considering the lens is very small, because it can only weigh 1,5 pounds :P) That would be great for a few purposes, usable focus on the wide end and n enormous magnification factor on the long end. Which of course would be great for macro-shooters, although even if it had 9-stop image stabilizer it still wouldn't help you enough [:P]


    Brendan I truly believe that if you're putting your money into this one, when winning the lottery, think again about what you want. Really you could get much more out of it []


    A built in fish-eye converter would be great wouldn't it? I would also like a laser guided second focus-system for the longer focal lengths and I think I could come up with some more ideas [8-|]


    By the way if you want a cheap solution to the longer focal lengths, check this one out: Walimex 650-1300mm f8-f16, it's only 260 euros!! And you can buy a 2x extender for it for just 23 euros extra [:O] This lens is also made by Samyang and it appears online under more factory names. I wonder if there are people seriously using these lenses [:#]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •