Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BYCS...also, SYSHTUYCS!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

BYCS...also, SYSHTUYCS!

Just a reminder for all of us, myself included. BYCS. Bring Your Camera, Stupid!

Last week, my wife and I took our 2.5 year old daughterto a sunset concert/museum benefit featuring [url="http://www.zydecochachas.com/]Nathan & the Zydeco Cha-Chas[/url]. We figured she'd be bored, get antsy, and we'd end up leaving early. I considered taking my camera, but decided that since we probably wouldn't be there long, and we needed to carry a set of chairs, a picnic dinner, and a toddler, one more thing over my shoulder would be too much.

As it turned out, our little one loved the music, and had a great time. We bought one of the band's CDs at intermission, and lead-singer Nathan autographed it to her. When the next set started, she wandered her way up to the area in front of the stage, and since Nathan knew her name he worked it into the song as she danced solo in front of stage and crowd, and the song finished off with Nathan calling for a round of applause for her from the 700+ people in the audience. (Needless to say, our daughter doesn't have issues with shyness or self-esteem.)

But all I had to capture the moment was the camera on my iPhone... [:$]

I recently got a Lowepro Toploader Pro 65AW - the perfect size for my gripped 7D with 17-55mm f/2.8 IS or 24-105mm f/4<span style="color: red;"]L IS. But even though that's a relatively compact kit (at least compared to a backpack full of lenses with a tripod strapped onto it), it's still a fair bit of bulk and weight. This has me considering a PowerShot S90, which seems to be a good, pocket-sizedblend of convenience and control with RAW capability.

In any event, the moral of the story is, if you want to take pictures, you need to bring your camera with you.

Happy shooting!

--John

Re: BYCS

I agree John! I was walking around today; I look to my left, and up a tree....and there's a bald eagle just begging for a photo. Thankfully my camera bag was in tow!

I'm glad you clarified BYCS early for me. Cool story (not the part about not having your camera of course).

[:O] All that beautiful equipment sitting at home when we have a budding star here!? Shame on you! [:P]

I hope you know I'm just giving you a hard time, John! [] I have a funny feeling youwillhave many morechances coming your way of catchingshots like this &amp; someday we are all going to be able to say "I remember when ..."!

She's just adorable!

Denise

Thanks, Denise! You're right - in fact, we had such a good time at that event that we'll be going to the next concert in the series as well.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    ...we had such a good time at that event that we'll be going to the next concert in the series as well.

...and this time, I brought my camera. []

AWWW!! Great Shot, John! This is what makes carrying that gear around at all times worth it!

Denise

Haha the energy of your girl is great! Very nice![]

I think the picture would be even better with some bouncing flash.

Anyway it looks like a lot of fun!

John, I bet you just went to the concert to get a picture of her showing her moves. This isn't a coincidence. ;-)

Hahah. Great!

Quote Originally Posted by Joel

John, I bet you just went to the concert to get a picture of her showing her moves. This isn't a coincidence. ;-)

[A]