Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BYCS...also, SYSHTUYCS!

BYCS...also, SYSHTUYCS!

Just a reminder for all of us, myself included. BYCS. Bring Your Camera, Stupid!

Last week, my wife and I took our 2.5 year old daughterto a sunset concert/museum benefit featuring [url="http://www.zydecochachas.com/]Nathan & the Zydeco Cha-Chas[/url]. We figured she'd be bored, get antsy, and we'd end up leaving early. I considered taking my camera, but decided that since we probably wouldn't be there long, and we needed to carry a set of chairs, a picnic dinner, and a toddler, one more thing over my shoulder would be too much.

As it turned out, our little one loved the music, and had a great time. We bought one of the band's CDs at intermission, and lead-singer Nathan autographed it to her. When the next set started, she wandered her way up to the area in front of the stage, and since Nathan knew her name he worked it into the song as she danced solo in front of stage and crowd, and the song finished off with Nathan calling for a round of applause for her from the 700+ people in the audience. (Needless to say, our daughter doesn't have issues with shyness or self-esteem.)

But all I had to capture the moment was the camera on my iPhone... [:$]

I recently got a Lowepro Toploader Pro 65AW - the perfect size for my gripped 7D with 17-55mm f/2.8 IS or 24-105mm f/4<span style="color: red;"]L IS. But even though that's a relatively compact kit (at least compared to a backpack full of lenses with a tripod strapped onto it), it's still a fair bit of bulk and weight. This has me considering a PowerShot S90, which seems to be a good, pocket-sizedblend of convenience and control with RAW capability.

In any event, the moral of the story is, if you want to take pictures, you need to bring your camera with you.

Happy shooting!

--John

Re: BYCS

I agree John! I was walking around today; I look to my left, and up a tree....and there's a bald eagle just begging for a photo. Thankfully my camera bag was in tow!

I'm glad you clarified BYCS early for me. Cool story (not the part about not having your camera of course).

[:O] All that beautiful equipment sitting at home when we have a budding star here!? Shame on you! [:P]

I hope you know I'm just giving you a hard time, John! [] I have a funny feeling youwillhave many morechances coming your way of catchingshots like this &amp; someday we are all going to be able to say "I remember when ..."!

She's just adorable!

Denise

Thanks, Denise! You're right - in fact, we had such a good time at that event that we'll be going to the next concert in the series as well.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    Just a reminder for all of us, myself included. BYCS. Bring Your Camera, Stupid!

Right on John! [Y][Y]

I have a 570 IS for times when I cannot / do not want to take a larger camera. I was thinking of a Rebel series as a choice as well, my son would use it and I could "borrow" it for times I do not want to take the more expensive gear, ie -- theme parks, great pictures, not camera friendly if you are ridding also.

But with my new 5D II, my camera budget is a little low for a while. []

Chris

You're so right John!

Yesterday there was some very heavy rainfall (like 30min) and I had set my mind on going mountainbiking earlier that day. I wondered, since I can't go full-power due to a shoulder injury, if I would take my camera along with me. My mother thought there was nothing special to see and said to me: just enjoy the biking, leave the camera at home, your stuff will only get very dirty..

So I rode my bike trough this hilly heathland I visit all the time. And because it is very warm the last week the water didn't get into the earth yet and there was an amazing low hanging mist over the entire area and the sun was just setting....arggg!! Never seen that place so beautiful and just now I didn't take my camera...choices choices []

Anyway, you can't always have everything and in the end I enjoyed mountainbiking a lot and I really needed some exercise [:P] but in my mind I still think of the potential beautiful photos I missed...

Another reminder. SYSHTUYCS. Show Your Spouse How To Use Your Camera, Stupid!

This past Saturday afternoon, I was out shopping with our daughter - my wife stayed home, planning to relax out on the deck with a book. Late in the day, I got a call from my wife...there was a beautiful hawk on the power lines down the road from our house, and she couldn't get any good pictures with my camera! They were blurry and too far away. She'd pulled out the other lenses from the drawer, but didn't know how to change lenses on the camera.

Ok, so I have it set up for back-button AF, very non-intuituve for a casual user. The EF 24-105mm f/4<span style="color: red;"]L was mounted on the camera, and it turned out that changing to one of the other available lenses wouldn't have helped anyway, since she already had the longest one on (the other ones in the 'quick access' drawer were the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8, the EF 85mm f/1.2<span style="color: red;"]L II, and the EF 100mm f/2.8<span style="color: red;"]L Macro IS - the white zooms were in the camera bag in the closet).

Still, she had managed to catch a few interesting shots (despite being OOF even with minimal cropping, and more cropping would have been better with only a 105mm lens). Here's one of a mockingbird dive-bombing the red-tail (who apparently didn't care!).

Fortunately, the red-tail was patient - almost too patient, since he hung out up on that wire long after I got home, finally flying off well after sunset. Here he is again, after I was able to put on the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6<span style="color: red;"]L IS.

Fortuitously, that aggressive mockingbird (or maybe his cousin) put in another appearance just as the sun was setting.

So, she now knows about the green square mode (which disables the back-button AF customization), and how to change a lens. []

Easier said then done, John. My wife makes the green square look difficult. In addition, she is afraid to hold my new 5D II, the "new" has not worn off yet. Fortunately (I think), my ten year old son has no such fears. Of course, he makes me afraid sometimes....

He seems to think my 50D should pass right to him. I am not ready for that yet.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris White

Easier said then done, John. My wife makes the green square look difficult.

Guess I'm lucky there, in two ways. First, my wife is a professor who's used to dealing with AV issues when going into a new lecture room. In fact, when we went to Africa a few years ago (sadly, that was pre-dSLR for me), I used the high-end P&amp;S and she used the DV camcorder and got some amazing footage. Second, although she can deal with the tech stuff, she doesn't have a strong desire to do so - meaning although she'll use my gear if needed for a specific purpose, I don't have to share, or buy two of everything... []