Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L IS USM, and why you want one!

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L IS USM, and why you want one!

6 years ago I bought a Canon 20D with the 17-85 lens, as an amateur wanna be photog, and was disappointed more often than not with the quality of my shots, unless the gods, and the lighting were aligned. Fast forward to November 2009, and after some great reviews from Bryan, I took the plunge and ordered the EOS 7D, as a body only, along with the EFS 17-55 f2.8, and the EF 85 f1.8. I was blown away with the quality of the body, in conjunction with the glass i ordered. All of a sudden I was getting National Geographic quality shots, 5 times out of ten. I was floored with the kit I had acquired to say the least. I have since added the EF 135 f2 L, as well as the EF 200 f2.8 II. These two pieces of glass are AMAZING. No, Stunning would be more appropriate!

Fast forward to present time, and last week I ordered the EF 70-200 f4 L IS, (after renting both the f2.8 and f4 IS iterations for a 3 day period), and I can now say I have had an epiphany. While I have dreamed of the 2.8 IS II at 2500 bucks, I really did not like the weight, nor the expense, so I settled on the f4 IS. After only 3 days, I wish I could go back and do it all over again, and I would buy only two pieces of glass, The 17-55, and the 70-200 f4 IS.

I am BLOWN away with the quality of photo's I get out of the 70-200 f4 IS, I guess I have now had epiphany version II... I could not be any happier with the results of this lens. The IS and the bokeh are to die for.

Here are some examples, and their are others in the profile, if you wish. Most were shot at the Taste of Chicago event in downtown Chicago over the last couple of days. This piece of glass really makes you pay attention to the background to get great shots, especially when wide open, for that creamy blur. All are at AP priority, with auto ISO and AWB.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.34.61/IMG_5F00_4441.jpg[/img]

The ability to pull someone out of a crowd

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.34.61/IMG_5F00_4538.jpg[/img]

The ability to be 30 feet away from a subject, and capture an emotion

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.34.61/IMG_5F00_4721.jpg[/img]

The ability to create stunning backgrounds on an ordinary subject

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.34.61/IMG_5F00_4791.jpg[/img]

And the raw creative capabilities

I realize I am crowing like a proud papa, I just cant keep it to myself. And this place is all about sharing our Photo experiences. I wish all of you could see the full size, full resolutions of these shots, yet we are limited to the 800 pix reso here at TDP.

C & C are most welcome.

( Bryan has profited from each and every purchase, as I always order from his site from B&H, as they seem to really have their act and price together, thanks Bryan, and yes, I have no relation to Bryan, or his site)

Bottom Line, If you dont own a Canon 70-200, either the f2.8 IS, or the f4 IS lens, you will... And I can heartily recommend the f4 iteration, for it's size, weight, and image quality. Maybe I just got lucky with mine, because it is just magical and sharp.

Re: Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L IS USM, and why you want one!

those are really beautiful shots, I like each of them.this is just remind me when I first got my 70-200mm non IS 4 years ago, I had the same feeling you have right now!.have fun!

Congratulations on your purchase! I've got a 70-200 F4L IS too. Great glass gives great results. Your shots are excellent.

The best part of this story, I am now making money off the equipment. Not oodles and oodles, but enough to carry the cost of past and future acquisitions, with prospects in the near future to actually make a reasonable living.

I am very thankful to all the fine folks who frequent this forum, and their sage advice. I learn something new every day, and find this one of the most civil, and nurturing places on the entire internet regarding photography. To all of you, and Bryan, thank you.

One more example to pound my chest...

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.34.61/IMG_5F00_4590.jpg[/img]

One of Chicago's finest, and proudest member of the VERY few Mounted force. And yes, he does this year round, even in the bitter cold of Chicago February's.

Did I tell you I love this lens?

Got to agree with you, this is just a great lens, the quality is superb, and thanks to the IS it just is fun to shoot with. Outdoors it has more or less replaced the 85 f/1.8 for portraits...

Have fun, Colin

Great photos! I'm still on a tight budget/leash, so the idea of getting essentially that lens minus the IS for half the cost is *very* attractive. Right now, the longest lens I have is the 28-135 (a decent lens, but not spectacular) for my XSi. I have the 17-55, and it's great, but I'm missing the reach for outdoor events.

Is it worth getting the 70-200 f/4 non-IS sooner or the f/4 IS later (much later)?

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by randmc
    Is it worth getting the 70-200 f/4 non-IS sooner or the f/4 IS later (much later)?

Only you can answer that question, of course. []

The f/4 IS version is a little sharper than the f/4 non-IS version(especially away from the center), but the f/4 non-IS is still plenty sharp. Used on an XSi (where 'mid-frame' on the FF ISO 12233 crops is more like corner on 1.6x crop), the off-center differences are less. The 70-200mm f/4 non-IS is noticeably sharper than the 28-135mm, and obviously longer as well.

Partly it comes down to what sort of outdoor events you'll be shooting. IS reduces camera shake by enabling you to use a slower shutter speed - if you're shooting events that require fast shutter speeds to stop motion, IS is not that useful. Keep in mind that handholding a non-IS 200mm lens will require a shutter speed of ~1/320 (using the 1/focal length rule adjusted for 1.6x crop) to get a reasonable keeper rate. Depending on the lighting, that might mean higher ISOs than you'd otherwise want.

One short-term option is to buy a used non-IS version - I see them on my local Craigslist for $475-500 (sometimes a little lower, too). You'd probably be able to sell it for about that a few months down the line when you've saved the remaining $ for the f/4 IS version.

I love my 70-200f/4IS too!

BTW that redwinged blackbird is great! If the head angle was just a bit better....

Great stuff MacManUS!

I wish I had the 70-200 f4L IS, I once had the non-IS version and as I shot a lot of sports I loved it, shooting a lot wide open or a little stopped down. But after I stopped shooting a lot of sports the lens became pretty much unused. At f4 and 200mm it was hard to get good shutterspeeds and acceptable ISO-values, so I ditched it.

If I had the money now to buy a stabilised version I would be first in line! Love the f4L IS!! I've also used the 70-200 f2.8 L IS mark I lens and I must say that it is too big for my likings. I personally would be more happy with the f4 version.

Perhaps some day...[A]

Keep on shooting and enjoy it as much as you can!

Jan

I have yet to use my 70-200 f/4 L IS USM zoom, mainly because I am getting reacquainted with photography. Most recently I have had a couple of point-and-shoot pocket digital cameras, but prior to that (many, many years prior) I worked with 35mm SLRs and even souped my own negatives and prints. Fast forward to 2010 and my big step into DSLR photography begins with the T2i and this lens. I'm piecemealing my equipment and recently picked up a UV filter (B+W per Bryan's recommendation) and will be looking at bags to carry my gear... not the best excuse for not breaking them in. But I've many other irons in the fire (such as just getting home from a motorcycle vacation in Flagstaff, AZ, and home & gardenprojects). I am also nowmore broke than I once was.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I am quite pleased with my choice judging from the enthusiasm everyone has expressed, and especially from the samples of the great work by MacManUS. Wow!I hope to get my butt in gear soon and start creating some ofmy own.