Hi Group!

This is my first post. I just want to say that Brian runs an incredibly useful and informative site. Thank you, Brian!

To the point... For our wedding anniversary, my lovely wife just gave me a fantastic dslr starter kit, including the Canon T2i and the Canon 18-200mm lens.

I did a lot of research on lenses and asked for the 18-200mm despite the known and obvious drawbacks. Like many, I wanted a versatile super-zoom so that I would only need one lens for day to day use. I chose the Canon over the Sigma 18-250mm and Tamron 18-270mm.

Now the Canon 15-85mm IS USM has come to my attention and I am seriously confused about having the 18-200mm. The 15-85mm appears to be of superior build and lens quality, as well as producing higher quality pics.

After comparing the angle of view changes between the 85-200mm range, I notice that there is a drop off in change after about 135mm. I guess that is the result of the smaller change of difference in the percentage of the focal length. I hope I am articulating myself well enough.

I also have a concern about the 18-200mm, as I have read numerous reports about the lens lock failing. Though, many seem to be very happy with the lens and the images it produces.

So it comes down to, If I were to have only one lens for now, do I sacrifice the longer end of the zoom range (85-200mm), in favor of a superior lens, with a more than capable zoom (at the 1.6 crop).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have ten days to make a decision before B&H won't take back the 18-200mm and the 15-85mm rebate expires.

Thanks in advance!